Thoughts from a new guy

woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
edited September 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Still new here, and feeling my way around. I thought I'd offer up this image for thoughts and suggestions. This is one of my early HDR experiments. A 3 shot + - 2 stop series tone mapped only enough to bring shadows and highlights into an accceptable range. Yes I have pushed the envelope on other shots, and feel it sometimes has its place. I like this one with minimal effect. What do you guys and gals think?

624907957_GFso6-M.jpg
Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    woellerd wrote:
    I like this one with minimal effect. What do you guys and gals think?

Hey Dave,

As I often say, "if your happy, I'm happy".

Now, on a personal note: I think this is a stellar image. Sharp, clear, articulate comp.

Good job thumb.gif ~ Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    Randy
  • harvey3harvey3 Banned Posts: 13 Big grins
    Looks great!
    you're doing great! :)
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Very well done.
    Even though everything is nicely aligned, for some reason it feels to me like something is slightly off angle. I can't figure out why, other than I'm going nuts.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. I can assure you I have a huge head start on the nuts catagory:D Gotta keep pluggin away though. Very high quality work here, I hope to fit in.
    Dave Woeller

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 26, 2009
    I don't think I would have known this was an HDR if you hadn't said so. That--to me--is a sign of success. I know lots of people like to push the colors to extremes, but sometimes that seems to be just because they can, not because it serves any real artistic purpose. I'm probably in the minority, mind you, but when I see a pic that screams Photomatix, my eyes glaze over. ne_nau.gif OTOH, using HDR to deal with difficult light--as you have done here--can be a great tool, and you have done a good job of it.
    edited September 27, 2009
    Thanks Richard. There is quite a debate on the use of this tool, but I guess it all comes down to your desired end result. I must admit that I have seen some highly toned images that were impressive, but the intended message was quite clear. Many look more like an illustration than a photograph.
    Dave Woeller

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    woellerd wrote:
    Thanks Richard. There is quite a debate on the use of this tool, but I guess it all comes down to your desired end result. I must admit that I have seen some highly toned images that were impressive, but the intended message was quite clear. Many look more like an illustration than a photograph.

Well, I try to avoid discussion of what constitutes a photograph as opposed to whatever, so I usually stick with "image." Don't get me wrong--I enjoy extreme image manipulation including HDR techniques. I just think that they are often applied indiscriminately, and that's what puts me off.
    I will completely agree with that. I appreciate your thoughts.
    Dave Woeller