Options

Some other Kite Surfing from Waddell

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited September 25, 2009 in Sports
This is a great place. You can get more action in 5 minutes than you can in an hour watching guys waiting for the perfect wave.

Kites and wind surfers separate. Yesterday the forecast was for 7-9kts winds

It's tough to get faces, the wind comes from where the sun is, hence they're getting away from you. Shot with a Tammy 50-200 on a D90 (with dirty sensor - all shots loaded with dust bunnies)

I'll be going back..

660372374_a8fcW-M.jpg

660370560_vyz5B-M.jpg

660373541_WPirP-M.jpg

660373103_qZoRX-M.jpg

660370865_fmzmq-M.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    It's definitely a fun place to shoot the kite surfers. I don't know the trick to a guarantee that they will be out, so we don't make the long drive down there very often. I wonder if on weekends, early, the sun might be right on their faces as they come back in to shore before turning around and heading out again.

Very rarely we'll see some at Pillar Point Habor, but it's protected, so no nice waves for them to bounce up on.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    Well Dee, I left San Mateo at 3pm & HMB was really fogged in, as a matter of fact the coast was very foggy until about 3 mi past Pillar point. The Santa Cruz border was sunny and windy - perfect, I just kept the faith :D

This was my second trip down. the first was in the am and there are no kite surfers, just regular surfers. One of them said it was rare to see kiters there. But in the afternoon there must have been 15-20 kitesurfers in the water and the sky was filled with kites.

I would recommend getting there about 3, but check surfline for wind conditions

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/steamer-lane-central-california_4188/

Good shooting...
    Rags