Reflection Lake and Termination Dust

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in Landscapes
Summer is a thing of the past here, and Autumn is moving along at a speedy clip as well. I headed out early yesterday morning to catch some fog drifting off a local lake in the frosty temps under a sunny sky, but the weather unfortunately didn't really cooperate. I drove by this lake the day before and it was beautiful, but I couldn't stop. Ah well, another time perhaps. :D

Reflection Lake is a small pond on the edge of the Glenn Highway, unquestionably the busiest road in the state of Alaska. For many years it was used illegally as a dumping site for anything and everything by a large number of people. More recently, a group has gathered funds and energy and renovated the place, dragging the lake and cleaning the shores of trash, chemicals, and everything else the rough characters of Alaska have deposited here. Now they're building trails around the shoreline and making every effort to make the place beautiful again.

I'm not sold, myself. The scenery is great, but the shoreline is clearly and thoroughly touched by mankind with bulldozed burms and old roadcuts through the woods. To top it all off though, the highway noise makes it hard to even think. With so many thousands of lakes in this valley, I figured they could have at least put all this effort into one that has a chance of being peaceful and serene. But hey, they've done an amazing job here, you just can't do anything about all that highway noise.

So here you go! My blue skies were instead depressingly gloomy, keeping things chilled so the fog was minimal, but I took my pictures anyway. :D

660541753_nEncV-XL.jpg

660541892_JnQjm-XL.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    Number 1 is beautiful, even with the gray skies! I would have thought that this time of year is "late" for fall color. Hmmmmmmm....
  • PeterPeter Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    Really like the lines, color and reflection in #2. Super job . . .

Peter
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    #1 is FANTASTIC! They both are!
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    I take it you'll be heading back there for some re-shoots? A great looking spot.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    wirehunt wrote:
    I take it you'll be heading back there for some re-shoots? A great looking spot.

I dunno, I think if I get out that early again in the narrow window of time before winter hits full force, I'll go somewhere more thoroughly pristine. This place is pretty in pictures, but the highway noise ruins it for me. Call me spoiled, I grew up here and there are literally well over a thousand lakes within this valley where you can't hear or see much but nature and maybe some airplanes. :D

Scole: yeah it does seem a little late for color, but it may just be that we haven't had our heavy winds yet to wipe out the rest of the leaves. There's frost in the mornings and the snowline is at 3000 feet or so, so it should get pretty white down here on the valley floor pretty soon.

Thanks for the comments all! :D
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Wait, it's late for fall foliage? When does it usually hit? I'm just so glad to see it!
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    In New England early October. It might be late for Alaska
    Rags