Sweet Dreams..Baby pic.

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited September 26, 2009 in People
Hi again all! Well looks like babies are the hot topic today. That is good because it happens to be my favorite subject!

As mentioned before I'm looking to turn from taking regular snapshots towards more artistic and portrait compositions. I would appreciate any tips on what is "wrong" with my pictures and how to correct it...

I took this of my sleeping 8 month old today. Not sure how I did on lighting this properly with available ambient light. Suggestions, thoughts. Not easy getting him to sleep in a lit room either! :wink

How do I post more than 1 picture? It says I've reached file size limit with 1. Thanks!

Comments

• pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    How'd you get an 8 month old to sleep? headscratch.gif (Coming from the exhausted mom of a 15 month old.)
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Lovely shot! You're growing by leaps and bounds. Nice job, looks a little too warm. Cute, cute baby!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    Very nice. Baby looks so cozy it makes me want to snuggle up and take a snooze.

Caroline
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    How'd you get an 8 month old to sleep? headscratch.gif (Coming from the exhausted mom of a 15 month old.)

Lol, this is funny and I think you'll appreciate it since you have a baby of your own. Looks like a nice cozy, sleeping shot, huh?! Yeah right, with an 8 month old sleeping like a newborn *how is that possible?! Not really possible..Illusions are everything. He is in his STROLLER! I threw a backdrop fuzzy blanket on the back of the stroller...covered his red shirt with it (which would have looked terrible)...Put a little fuzzy blanket in the foreground to cover the stroller bar. He is sitting (!!) with his head slouched over. I pushed the stroller until he fell asleep (he had missed his morning nap so he was pooped, as was I). Once he was asleep I pulled his arm out and propped it as I wished. Looks like he is laying down in a cozy bed, just dreaming away! I'm happy with the shot since it is almost impossible to do at this age. I also find that babies features are a bit cuter as they age so I was happy to capture his babyness at this stage. Good luck with your 15 month old. I can relate on being exhaused (I have four!).
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    Thank you! By "warm" I assume you mean the colors, Laughing.gif! Not that he is in 2 hugely heavy blankets :D I did an add filter 81 (Eddie had suggested this in a previous photo)...maybe it was warm enough without it.

Any suggestions on this shot? Is it good, medium, great? I have NO lighting equipment. I only have an on body flash that I NEVER use. I would love to get studio lights some day...but I would have a huge project in learning! I basically just own my camera w kit lens and one additional lens (50 mm 1.8 portrait lens which is what i used). I have to make do. I don't get the shot I want all of the time. It just takes a bit of hit or miss. Eventually I get more or less what I want. I have absolute NO consistency though.

I LOVED your site! Your shots are amazing. I hope to also spend time taking pictures once I have time (empty nest days). I'm impressed that you are self taught! I wish I had more time to learn now so I could capture baby and kid days better. It is ironic that when we want the photos we are too busy to get them (to learn or to take shots!).
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Lovely shot! You're growing by leaps and bounds. Nice job, looks a little too warm. Cute, cute baby!!
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    kidzmom wrote:
    Lol, this is funny and I think you'll appreciate it since you have a baby of your own. Looks like a nice cozy, sleeping shot, huh?! Yeah right, with an 8 month old sleeping like a newborn *how is that possible?! Not really possible..Illusions are everything. He is in his STROLLER! I threw a backdrop fuzzy blanket on the back of the stroller...covered his red shirt with it (which would have looked terrible)...Put a little fuzzy blanket in the foreground to cover the stroller bar. He is sitting (!!) with his head slouched over. I pushed the stroller until he fell asleep (he had missed his morning nap so he was pooped, as was I). Once he was asleep I pulled his arm out and propped it as I wished. Looks like he is laying down in a cozy bed, just dreaming away! I'm happy with the shot since it is almost impossible to do at this age. I also find that babies features are a bit cuter as they age so I was happy to capture his babyness at this stage. Good luck with your 15 month old. I can relate on being exhaused (I have four!).

Well done!!! I used to be so "good" about getting portraits of her every month, but now I find that it is too difficult to keep her still. She sees my camera kit come out and runs away giggling. :D I can't keep up with one, I can't imagine 4!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    kidzmom wrote:
    How do I post more than 1 picture? It says I've reached file size limit with 1. Thanks!

If you have your pics hosted somewhere (like SmugMug or Flickr) you can link any number of pics without a size limit. Just make sure that the host gallery allows external links. If you only have your pics on your computer, then attaching them is the only choice, and there is a limit of one pic per post. How To Post on Dgrin