Professional Dr. Portraits

djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in People
My daughter arranged for me to photograph the doctors in her clinic for web and advertising usage. I had about 15 minutes per person to pose and shoot. PLEASE C&C as I really need help posing people. They requested a black background and gave me a small kitchenette to set up for shooting. a space about 12' X 20' with 8' ceilings.

618325106_azqEP-L.jpg

618324952_PfpKT-L.jpg

618325479_FVzoq-L.jpg

618325190_cqv4o-L.jpg

The owner of the practice (#2) at first did not want to pay what I asked and was going to get snap shots elsewhere. He was very pleased with the results I gave and has recommended me to another practice.
http://www.djames-photography.com
In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.

Comments

• pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    I'd say the first one looks the most uncomfortable and posed. I prefer to professional headshots to look pretty straightforward and well....professional. I wouldn't feel right if I saw my doctor/lawyer/etc leaning a chin on a fist, KWIM? Lighting looks fairly good, though, but I'd prefer a little crisper focus on the eyes in 4.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    djames wrote:
    The owner of the practice (#2) at first did not want to pay what I asked and was going to get snap shots elsewhere. He was very pleased with the results I gave and has recommended me to another practice.

Congratulations! That says a lot right there. You pleased the owner and obtained your first (and probably not last) referral! If I were shopping for a doctor on a website or advertisement, which is what the shots were intended for, I would think this was a very friendly and accessible appearing group of doctors. I happen to like that they are not so stiff and formal. It would be interesting to do both kinds of shots and see what the majority of doctors would choose. I think you humanized them :D . Interesting that you did better (I think) with the men than the woman. She looks uncomfortable, but I think it may be more that she is not into having her photo taken. Nice set!
  • djamesdjames Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    saurora wrote:
    Congratulations! That says a lot right there. You pleased the owner and obtained your first (and probably not last) referral! If I were shopping for a doctor on a website or advertisement, which is what the shots were intended for, I would think this was a very friendly and accessible appearing group of doctors. I happen to like that they are not so stiff and formal. It would be interesting to do both kinds of shots and see what the majority of doctors would choose. I think you humanized them :D . Interesting that you did better (I think) with the men than the woman. She looks uncomfortable, but I think it may be more that she is not into having her photo taken. Nice set!

Thanks for you comments. I told the doctors that I was looking for an expression of compassion and paying close attention to what the patient was telling them. Their previous pictures were the typical stand in fromt of a backdrop and get a quick shot with on camera flash. The practice owner at first thought that having a stethascope showing kinda gitsy, but when he saw the shot he really liked the effect.
    In this great big world around us, we will find what we are looking for! What we do with it is up to us to decide.
    Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Zuiko 14-45 Zuiko 40-150 Sigma 50-500 Zuiko 18-180 4-AB800 strobes, 1AB-400 stobe, 4 softboxes, brolly box, umbrellas etc.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    To my untrained eye, I think you did very well. They look good! Now, take the next comment with a grain of salt, because I'm just learning about portrait shooting myself. Next time you might consider aiming a lower-power strobe at the background so that you can see it. Of course, it'll be slightly gray rather than black. But I think it will look more natural than just having the docs kind of floating in black space. That's just a thought based on the reading I've been doing.

Take care,
    -joel
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    kdog wrote:
    To my untrained eye, I think you did very well. They look good! Now, take the next comment with a grain of salt, because I'm just learning about portrait shooting myself. Next time you might consider aiming a lower-power strobe at the background so that you can see it.
    -joel

I agree with this definetly. You seemed to lose separation with the dark haired individuals.
    B Rock wrote:
    I agree with this definetly. You seemed to lose separation with the dark haired individuals.

Thank you for yours and Joel's input on the background lighting. Looks like more investments in lighting needed. I used a main light and a slave fill along with a slaved flash for a hair light.
  • laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I actually think the lighting is very good, and their expressions are perfect for what it sounds like you were aiming at.

My issue with the posing is that the people look hunched over. There is grey area between stiff upright and the leaning I see here; sometimes you can fake it in post by rotating the photo, but here it looks mostly as though the table on which their elbows are resting is perhaps too low (#1 being significantly better than #2 or #4 if you can see what I mean). Also I think that if you're going to use that pose, where the head is rested on a hand, it's better if the subject's hand is not covering his face (#4).

#3 is definitely a step in the right direction, though to me his head looks slightly awkward tilted that way and his left shoulder looks tense. I find that my most commonly uttered direction during a headshot shoot is to straighten out the head and relax the shoulders.

Hope this helps! Good job getting paid the rate you requested AND a referral, sounds pretty successful to me!
  • amazingPicsCoamazingPicsCo Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2009
    Well done. I agree with others on the separation between the background and the dark-haired individuals.
  • GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    #3 is the best of the bunch. #1 looks like her pupils are bloodshot, maybe some PP on that one. The others look uncomfortable. Nice lighting and great job getting another referral!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    Honest opinion....

1. Broad lite making her face broader also showing the hand at its broadest. Move the light to the other side and shoot into her chest if you keep the head in the same position and it will give you more modeling and depth to the face. Need to separate the head from the bkg.
    2. Eyes are too dark (racoon eyes). Your light is too high and not getting under the brow to lighten them up. Arm and wrist are too straight. You need to bend the wrist. An old Texas rule is "if it will bend, bend it and if not break it!"
    3. Never tip a mans head to the high shoulder, that is a femine pose. Head should go slightly the other direction. Fix his hair.
    4. Too much of a femine pose. I know he picked the shirt but too many wrinkles.

You worked hard and provided them with some nice work but the little things have to be worked out to make them super.
    edited November 6, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Honest opinion....

1. Broad lite making her face broader also showing the hand at its broadest. Move the light to the other side and shoot into her chest if you keep the head in the same position and it will give you more modeling and depth to the face. Need to separate the head from the bkg.
    2. Eyes are too dark (racoon eyes). Your light is too high and not getting under the brow to lighten them up. Arm and wrist are too straight. You need to bend the wrist. An old Texas rule is "if it will bend, bend it and if not break it!"
    3. Never tip a mans head to the high shoulder, that is a femine pose. Head should go slightly the other direction. Fix his hair.
    4. Too much of a femine pose. I know he picked the shirt but too many wrinkles.

You worked hard and provided them with some nice work but the little things have to be worked out to make them super.

Thank you for your pointers. This how I learn to become better.