My niece... adorable 50s look (4 photos)

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited October 9, 2009 in People
This is my little Niece, Marisson. Ain't she cute?

660748722_zTZYA-L.jpg

2. f4, 200mm, 1/800th
660748063_qyY3b-L.jpg

660746689_V7Rnv-L.jpg

660749032_YoHrw-L.jpg

(c & c = me + :lust )

Comments

• pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    She is definitely super cute, and your pictures are spot on, as usual. The lipstick on such a little cutie is a bit distracting, IMO. The first is my fave.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • ERueERue Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    Oh my gosh, she looks just like Drew Berrymore in the 2nd one! I agree, the lipstick is a bit much, but she's very cute, nonetheless.
    The processing is very nice in the first one. The greens are a bit high in the other ones. Maybe ppull back the greens and put a little more magenta and yellows in to balance it out.
    Very adorable idea! Your focus is awesome...and where in the world did she get that dress?? I think my DD needs one!
    Erica
    40D | 50mm 1.8 | 28-75mm 2.8 | Metz 48 AF-1
    Erica Leigh Galleries
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    those are really cuteclap.gif .. I have to agree the lipstick is a little distracting I bet a pink color would do better.
    Courtney
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    ERue wrote:
    Oh my gosh, she looks just like Drew Berrymore in the 2nd one! quote]

that's exactly what I thought when I 1st saw it too! I also think that that one is my favorite.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    The only time the lipstick even popped into my head is in #3 because it's more rust colored than poppy, but I like it otherwise (the lipstick) in the other photos. It added some punch that was reminiscent of the color lipstick that's prevalent to the 50's look.

These are awesome images iloveyou.gif I seriously dig #2 - my gosh that bokeh. I can't wait till I can actually shoot someone with my 135 outside. It's killing me indoors.
  • hockeytown74hockeytown74 Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    marikris wrote:
    The only time the lipstick even popped into my head is in #3 because it's more rust colored than poppy, but I like it otherwise (the lipstick) in the other photos. It added some punch that was reminiscent of the color lipstick that's prevalent to the 50's look.

These are awesome images iloveyou.gif I seriously dig #2 - my gosh that bokeh. I can't wait till I can actually shoot someone with my 135 outside. It's killing me indoors.

Pictures are great, but the lipstick is too much for such little one.
    Nikon D800, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 85mm f1.8G, 35mm f1.8g

http://www.hockeytown.smugmug.com/
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    She is super cute and very good at the modeling gig!!
    #3 is the only one that doesn't do it for me, mostly because she's so cute and relaxed in the other 3. She looks more tentative or stiff in #3. You can also see that she was doing some arts and crafts a while earlier from the residual blue paint on her arms :D

Spot on and gorgeous.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Wow, magical photos as usual. I like the lipstick in #1, but not in the rest, it looks orange to me. What a head of hair she has! Nice job, must have been fun!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    Well it sounding like everyone is pretty much in agreement about the lipstick... But I do have to tell you a bit of back story so you can understand. Today is my daughter's 9th birthday and all her friends came over for a mini-makeover (which consisted of lipstick and hairdo's). Which was followed by a "friends photo session" and then they scrapbooked the photos we took. So the photos aren't really intended to be "traditional" "portraits". She chose her own lipcolor and I actually thought it fit her in a way. But she is so fair she is almost blue, so that made her lipstick really seem vivid. (She wanted in the worst way to look like "Gwen Stefani as a little girl", so that could have contributed to her choice of lipstick...Laughing.gif)

I did recheck the skin values, and they seem to be correct by the book. You just have to account for a small child growing up in Alaska with very very VERY pale skin.
    adbsgicom wrote:
    She is super cute and very good at the modeling gig!!
    #3 is the only one that doesn't do it for me, mostly because she's so cute and relaxed in the other 3. She looks more tentative or stiff in #3. You can also see that she was doing some arts and crafts a while earlier from the residual blue paint on her arms :D

Spot on and gorgeous.

Good eye: #3 was the very first shot, after which we had this:

660726221_6SFft-M.jpg
    (pathetic huh. rolleyes1.gif )

I let some of the other girls take a turn for a while while she cooled out, and then we took some more photos of her a bit later. But #3 is the best shot I got of her socks, and they were so cute.

And the arts and crafts? PERMANENT markers on balloons. I tried to get it off, but decided to leave it with the skin. (See what happens when you set up your camera gear without paying attention to the kids?)
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    More than cute!

Geesh..what a little doll!

I had boys, and I always felt if I'd had girls, there might not be food in the house, but she'd have new dresses all the time.
    tom wise
  • ERueERue Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    I did recheck the skin values, and they seem to be correct by the book. You just have to account for a small child growing up in Alaska with very very VERY pale skin.

Ahh, that makes sense. My daughter is pretty fair, too, so I totally understand.
    Erica
    40D | 50mm 1.8 | 28-75mm 2.8 | Metz 48 AF-1
    Erica Leigh Galleries
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    She IS cute! LOVE 1 and 2! Did you use any umbrella/flash with these?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    Elaine wrote:
    She IS cute! LOVE 1 and 2! Did you use any umbrella/flash with these?
    Aw thankee Elaine!
    Yep- all of them. If you have it out, why not use it? iloveyou.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    These are adorable. The lipstick is so over the top that it's obvious to me it's just for "dress up", so it works.

Caroline
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    WOW is all I can say. SO sharp! She is just adorable. How old is she? She looked like she had fun too. Great work!!!
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    I love these all. My favorite is #2. Very sweet!iloveyou.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    Hugely cute and great party idea! Love #2. How do you think that would look in antique vintage? Might be really cool with the colors. Love the bokeh and sharpness of all of them....it's yummy!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    heather, you're my idol! These are beautiful and I love the lipstick, goes with the "look". and oh my gosh what a beautiful little girl!!

Is number 1 a lightroom preset? I've been playing with some low-contrasty looking presets to come up with something like that, landed a combo that I sorta like, but not sure yet. But I love the colors in that one! If it is, care to share where you got it?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Ah Heather - another classy, classic, high-end set which takes ordinary to extraordinary. You nail it every time!!!

I'm on the fence about the lipstick. In context of dressup, I have no problem with it at all and think it's utterly adorable - I think it's the fact that she's in street clothes rather than "pretty pretty princess" dressup that leads to the slight disjunct if you don't know the backstory.

Sigh. Can I be you when I grow up?!
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    She is just adorable! #1 & #2 are my favorites. I love her expression in #2 and the processing in #1.

Stephanie
    Aww thanks everyone. She is such a cute little peanut, how could I go wrong?
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Very nice! I love #1 and #2.