Is the D90 for me?

double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
edited September 29, 2009 in Cameras
So with the redhead back to work full-time and going to school full-time I'm picking up on the subliminal "go do something and get out of my hair" message loud and clear. (You married guys may be familiar with this.... :wink )

Years ago I had a Nikon 4004, long since gone to the happy hunting ground for 35mm cameras. I still have all the old Nikon lenses, though--a 300mm ED AF f4, an 80-200 AF, and a 24mm AF.

We live pretty close to the Bolsa Chica wetlands, which gives plenty of opportunities for bird photography and I can always strap everything to my motorcycle and wander off to the mountains or Death Valley to do landscape photography.

That sums up 90% of my interest as well--wildlife and landscape.

I hate to start over on the lens front without a really good cause, so my inclination is to stick with Nikon for a body. Besides, Mr. Simon wrote such a nice song about 'em, even though the {unprintable} did discontinue the film.

I think the D90 is a good fit: it fits the budget and my existing lenses will fit it (right???).

If I get a D90, will I look back and, as has so often happened in my life, say, "Boy was that a doozie of a whoopsie."

Thanks for any and all (relevant) insights!

Rancho

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    So with the redhead back to work full-time and going to school full-time I'm picking up on the subliminal "go do something and get out of my hair" message loud and clear. (You married guys may be familiar with this.... mwink.gif )

Years ago I had a Nikon 4004, long since gone to the happy hunting ground for 35mm cameras. I still have all the old Nikon lenses, though--a 300mm ED AF f4, an 80-200 AF, and a 24mm AF.

We live pretty close to the Bolsa Chica wetlands, which gives plenty of opportunities for bird photography and I can always strap everything to my motorcycle and wander off to the mountains or Death Valley to do landscape photography.

I hate to start over on the lens front without a really good cause, so my inclination is to stick with Nikon for a body. Besides, Mr. Simon wrote such a nice song about 'em, even though the {unprintable} did discontinue the film.

I think the D90 is a good fit: it fits the budget and my existing lenses will fit it (right???).

If I get a D90, will I look back and, as has so often happened in my life, say, "Boy was that a doozie of a whoopsie."

Rancho

It's fine camera. It is a high end consumer camera with pro-level image quality. It is in my opinion the best bang for the buck in the nikon lineup
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    So with the redhead back to work full-time and going to school full-time I'm picking up on the subliminal "go do something and get out of my hair" message loud and clear. (You married guys may be familiar with this.... mwink.gif )

Rancho

I have both the D300 and D700, but I got a chance to use a D90 recently and it is a fine fine camera. It has several in camera photo processes it allows you to accomplish and many, many good attributes.

One thing of note though, and this is a biggie to me, is the field of view is smaller, and at first due to various reasons you may not notice, but you may intuit something is different. When I got my D700, I realized what had been missing due to the crop factor in the DX cameras.
    tom wise
  • koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    Rancho....I have just purchased a D90 within the last 2 months and I cannot be happier. The images are crisp, sharp, and with more than enough resolution. You could do a lot worse. The old lenses will fit I believe but will not autofocus...but I may be wrong on this score.
    cheers
    tim
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    koush wrote:
    Rancho....I have just purchased a D90 within the last 2 months and I cannot be happier. The images are crisp, sharp, and with more than enough resolution. You could do a lot worse. The old lenses will fit I believe but will not autofocus...but I may be wrong on this score.
    cheers
    tim

Thanks for that thought. I didn't think the AF would work, but wasn't sure. I'm sure I can find out, of course. I don't see AF being too important on landscape shots, but it would be helpful for wildlife shots.
    angevin1 wrote:
    One thing of note though, and this is a biggie to me, is the field of view is smaller, and at first due to various reasons you may not notice, but you may intuit something is different. When I got my D700, I realized what had been missing due to the crop factor in the DX cameras.

Tom, thanks for bringing that to the fore. I am "agonizing" about just how much of a difference the D700 would make versus the D90 and whether or not I really want to spend that much over my budget. I suspect it's just not something I can reach, but we'll see. Maybe I'll wander over to a local chain today and look through both cameras.

Mull, mull, mull.

Rancho
    Thanks for that thought. I didn't think the AF would work, but wasn't sure. I'm sure I can find out, of course. I don't see AF being too important on landscape shots, but it would be helpful for wildlife shots.

Tom, thanks for bringing that to the fore. I am "agonizing" about just how much of a difference the D700 would make versus the D90 and whether or not I really want to spend that much over my budget. I suspect it's just not something I can reach, but we'll see. Maybe I'll wander over to a local chain today and look through both cameras.

Mull, mull, mull.

Rancho

Those AF lenses should Af with the D90 too!
    tom wise
  • double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    angevin1 wrote:
    Those AF lenses should Af with the D90 too!

Excellent. One less thing to worry about. Thanks!

Went and held and looked through a D90 and a D700 over at a Samy's in Costa Mesa.

Wow. Huge difference in the view through the viewfinder. But seriously....2.5x as much? Looks like you can find 'em on Craigslist and eBay for $2,200 or so. Also saw a "D700 wanted, $1,500" ad on Craigslist. Yeah. And I want some quality time with Tia Carrera and Halle Berry.

Time for more research.

Where's the "Redd-Foxx-clutching-my-chest-'I'm-coming-to-join-you-Elizabeth'" smiley? :D

Rancho
    Excellent. One less thing to worry about. Thanks!

Went and held and looked through a D90 and a D700 over at a Samy's in Costa Mesa.

Wow. Huge difference in the view through the viewfinder. But seriously....2.5x as much? Looks like you can find 'em on Craigslist and eBay for $2,200 or so. Also saw a "D700 wanted, $1,500" ad on Craigslist. Yeah. And I want some quality time with Tia Carrera and Halle Berry.

Time for more research.

Where's the "Redd-Foxx-clutching-my-chest-'I'm-coming-to-join-you-Elizabeth'" smiley? :D

Rancho

I'm with ya...too dear!

I do like the D700 for it's ISO dealings, but the DX D90 is a great DX format camera...esp. for the Bucks~
    tom wise
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    http://jeremylovesjamie.smugmug.com/Family/2009-Air-Boats-at-Wild-Willys/

These images where shot with my D90 with either the kit lens or the $650 VR 75-300 (perhaps it's a 70-300, can't remember).

My Technique needs more work and I was on an Air boat shooting these pictures. It was a ton of fun, but hopefully, it shows what the D90 is capable of.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • brocotbrocot Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Using the Camera for 1 year end still 100% satisfaction.
    Quick access to different settings is great en very nice to use. thumb.gif

It is my first DSLR camera. (used the Coolpix 8400 before)

Latest pictures
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/Holidays/PARIS-2009/9481573_raMev#636613265_C8e9m
    Nikon Z5 - D7200/Nikon AF-S DX Nikkon 10-24mm/10-24dx/105mm prime/Nikon 200-500sb900/
    Hello, :thumb Mi Smug :
    http://erikgodderis.smugmug.com/
    http://www.godderis.be