Any plans to add mounted prints?

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
Bay Photo offers many things that are not currently available through the smugmug shopping cart... but it seems that there are plans to add some or all of these other products at some point in the future. At the very least we know that Metal Prints are in the works, which is awesome.

Something that I think would be great for pros is mounted prints. There are several options for this if you order direct from bay, such as regular foamboard, gatorboard, etc. It would not only be convenient but would also IMO add a lot of value to prints ordered from smugmug pros. Every client is likely to know that they can go to walmart and get an 8x10 printed for $2, but most people don't know the first thing about getting a print professionally mounted for framing. Being able to sell mounted prints straight from our websites would add a very tangible element of quality and professionalism to our offerings.

So, are there any plans to make mounted prints available? And if not, would you guys please consider it?

Comments

• termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    Even something as simple as enabling a checkbox in the cart that, when clicked, would 'enable' mounting (and the appropriate increase in price, set by the pro). While I think we'd want customers to be able to order un-mounted and mounted prints in the same cart, setting the option of whether mounting is available could be done on a gallery-by-gallery basis (i.e. forget coding an ability to offer mounting for 8x10 but not 4x6).

Looking forward to coupons and packages first… but add this to the (lengthy) list.

Thanks!
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    Yes, there are plans.
    Short term, a few select sizes of Mounted Prints, pre-configured, for EZP and Bay.

Then later, we'll add some smarts to our pricing tool and cart, to allow for the addons such as mounting, framing, and more.
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Thanks for a few more details, Andy. I used to only sell mounted, textured, and sprayed prints in sizes 8x10 and larger. The customer didn't have an option. It was a much more upscale option. After my move to SM, I've had the comment "flimsy" to describe my prints. That's really funny because Bay uses the best paper around, but when compared to a mounted print...

Personally, I don't need a lot of options like gatorboard, just plain ol' matboard is perfect for me. I have mounted to masonite, but that's just too expensive.

My customers really appreciate mounted prints.
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Make sure you're involved at http://smugmug.uservoice.com/. You can find my post titled, "Offer mounting, texture, and protective spray to prints", and vote for it! Also, feel free to make comments adding to the wishlist I already started.
  • mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    any time frame on this? mounted prints would make my life so much easier!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2010
    mtnbiker wrote:
    any time frame on this? mounted prints would make my life so much easier!
    Still in the works, stay tuned. In the meantime, we have some awesome mounted prints at both Bay and EZP.

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABP