Melbourne, Australia
Canon 40D, EF14mm f/2.8L II USM

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    I think overall you got a great capture. I only have one problem with it though.

It seems to me there is a shadow at both the right and left lower corners. It is a bit distracting to me, but that is only MHO.:ivar
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    I think overall you got a great capture. I only have one problem with it though.

It seems to me there is a shadow at both the right and left lower corners. It is a bit distracting to me, but that is only MHO.:ivar

Thanks, DL!

Those bits are a vignette, there's a trace of Holga in the b&w conversion. It is actually all way round the frame, though most noticeable bottom L & R. Helps draw attention to the main area of the shot.

Neil

• Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    It's distracting Neil..... why do want it again?
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    Interesting shot, Neil. Did you take any others from different angles? I love the top third of the frame, especially the interaction of the curvy white building and the sculpture. I'm less enamored of the way the sculpture frames some pedestrian looking buildings in the background. It looks like that place has great possibilities, worth a re-visit if you're still in the neighborhood.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Those are really neat looking. People can walk under them can't they? That would be a cool photo too.

I like it thumb.gif
    Richard wrote:
    Interesting shot, Neil. Did you take any others from different angles? I love the top third of the frame, especially the interaction of the curvy white building and the sculpture. I'm less enamored of the way the sculpture frames some pedestrian looking buildings in the background. It looks like that place has great possibilities, worth a re-visit if you're still in the neighborhood.

Appreciate your interesting comments, R, thanks! Yes, the shot down the list in the post Alice gets through... is this same group of sculptures. I agree that this is an interesting micro environment. I would like to do it with bodies and faces in the frame as well, but that particular afternoon there was almost nobody about because of very high winds. At times I could hardly keep my balance. It's on the edge of a very large river-bay area, where the winds have open season if they choose.

Neil

Dogdots wrote:
    Those are really neat looking. People can walk under them can't they? That would be a cool photo too.

I like it thumb.gif

Yes, you're right, it would have been great to get some human involvement, as I remarked to Richard, but the wind had blown all the people away (and I would in any case have almost dissolved in fright at the challenge mwink.gif).

This sculpture group is on the boardwalk which borders a new precinct in Melbourne called Docklands, apartments, shops, restaurants, amusements, replacing a very old part of the port since superseded by newer facilities neighboring. The sculptures rise like a clump of magical fantasy mushrooms.

Neil

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    Close Encounters of the Dr. Seuss Kind. :D

Nice photo! I like the distortion: Great capture and post. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited October 1, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Close Encounters of the Dr. Seuss Kind. :D

Nice photo! I like the distortion: Great capture and post. thumb.gif

Appreciate your comments, thanks, eL eSs Vee

Neil

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Neil,

I do get the "Alien" feeling here, not only from the strange aliens, but also from the futuristic buildings. What a goldmine of photo opportunities.

I'd like to see more of this area thumb.gif
    Randy
  • justThornejustThorne Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2009
    I quite like the buildings framed in the background. Sufficient eye candy if the eye cares to go there.

And, of course, I think the whole shot is sensational.
    edited October 2, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Neil,

I do get the "Alien" feeling here, not only from the strange aliens, but also from the futuristic buildings. What a goldmine of photo opportunities.

I'd like to see more of this area thumb.gif

Can you wait, though, that's the issue, it'll be another 12mo before I'm back in the ole 'ome town :D:D:D

Appreciate your words, Randy!

Neil

edited October 2, 2009
    justThorne wrote:
    I quite like the buildings framed in the background. Sufficient eye candy if the eye cares to go there.

And, of course, I think the whole shot is sensational.

Well, you have the eye for esoteric candy, so enjoy!

Thanks greatly for the encouragement! I'm sure the element of me giving back is not lost on you!

"Mild grinner", it just doesn't stick on you!

Best.

Neil