Baby in Hat= Very edited...Thoughts?

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited September 28, 2009 in People
Okay, just wanted to get a different look. Did some playing. Thoughts? Does it look VERY VERY novice?

Comments

• CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    <---doesn't get the babies with hats toques thing

It looks good. What did you do to edit it?
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    I like the serious pose. It is like a baby doing the family patriarch picture.
    The focus is off, which loses it for me, though. [ps, if you use links instead of attachments, I can scroll back and see your image while writing, which I can't do if it is an attachment].
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    Focus is not on the eyes, so.....nice baby thoughclap.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    Yes I was aware that it wasn't in focus. I tried to put a slight blur filter on it to mask everything a bit but it was really focused more on the hat and hands. I think it was because he was too shaded under the hat. Anyway, I TOTALLY agree that it is a baby patriarch pose. You nailed it! I just love the pose so much and wanted to salvage it as an image. How about going away from "picture" and more towards an abstract watercolor. I went extreme on this edit so beware. The short session wasn't a total failure. I got a few more focused shots.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Kidzmom/Evanartrendition_Softphotoedited-1_.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Kidzmom/Evan8mos.jpg
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    I think if you blur the hat more it would help the issue with the eyes not being in focus, the hat seems less edited than the baby and the focus may be the reason. Cool shot!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    Baby looks very, very novice, but the photo does not...

I think this is excellent. I did not notice the point of focus at all as the eyes are focused enough to draw my eyes to them and fit overall with the "softness" of the entire picture (though VayCayMom's suggestion is a good one to try).

Thanks for sharing.
    You are too funny! Thanks !rolleyes1.gif
    rainbow wrote:
    Baby looks very, very novice, but the photo does not...

I think this is excellent. I did not notice the point of focus at all as the eyes are focused enough to draw my eyes to them and fit overall with the "softness" of the entire picture (though VayCayMom's suggestion is a good one to try).

Thanks for sharing.
  • ERueERue Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    What are you using to hold the little one up? He seems to be sitting so nicely in all those blankets. :)
    Lovely eyes!
    Erica
    40D | 50mm 1.8 | 28-75mm 2.8 | Metz 48 AF-1
    Erica Leigh Galleries
    ERue wrote:
    What are you using to hold the little one up? He seems to be sitting so nicely in all those blankets. :)
    Lovely eyes!

Tricks of the baby picture taking trade...lol! He's actually not sitting at all (he's standing). Several things work...This was an infant Exersaucer covered in satin blankies. He can't crawl yet but he won't "sit still" either so I need to trap him. Also can use an infant bathtub seat or a bumbo seat (ages 4 months up)...less bulky :D
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    I always think of soft when I think of Babies...I think you overdid the contrast on his face~
    tom wise
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Cute baby and pose, but the eyes look overdone, fake almost. Actually the whole thing looks overcooked in a wierd way. I am curious to see the original? For me, if the eyes arent sharp in a portrait it goes in the trash bin...but that's me...
    No way can I throw this one in the trash! Laughing.gif! I REALLY want to salvage this shot. I am in LOVE with his body posture in this picture...the look on his face, the SWEETEST way that his hands are crossed. Definately a rare moment...poorly captured, yes, but it still makes me happy. I am new to PSE (a few weeks) and I'm sure I over did things (thus the title of the post). If you have any suggestions I"d LOVE to hear what I could do to make this shot happen. What VayCayMom mentioned was good...blurring the hat a bit more and creating the entire thing in a soft glow. I think this might just print wonderfully on canvas...a work of art more than a picture. Thoughts? Okay, here is the image straight out of my camera. As you can see I have ZERO lighting in my possession. Just an overhead to the right skylight window. His hat is shading his face so that is why his eyes were so soft. I did overdo the eyes to compensate for the lack of focus. I would really like to buy some lighting one of these months. It looks like it would make the world of difference! I'd really appreciate anyone helping me with this.
    Here's the shot out of the camera...
    IMG_4043.jpg

lilmomma wrote:
    Cute baby and pose, but the eyes look overdone, fake almost. Actually the whole thing looks overcooked in a wierd way. I am curious to see the original? For me, if the eyes arent sharp in a portrait it goes in the trash bin...but that's me...
    did you shoot this in raw by any chance? jpg is pretty hard to correct, but here's my quick shot in Lightroom.....hope you don't mind, i'll take it down if you want.

the colors were really strange, it was a little underexposed in the face and the eyes are really shadowed..so i thought it might look ok as a black and white. i don't think this edit necessarily looks great...i still think it looks a little overcooked..but this is just my view of it. and i'm really sorry, i didn't intend for the last comment to sound harsh, I didn't mean trash it, but i get so mad at myself when I have a great shot that they eyes are not lit right or focused on, I just meant for me it ruins it.

662523718_SnF9i-L.jpg
    Oh gosh Melissa, I love it!
    Thanks!
    Kelly
    lilmomma wrote:
    did you shoot this in raw by any chance? jpg is pretty hard to correct, but here's my quick shot in Lightroom.....hope you don't mind, i'll take it down if you want.

the colors were really strange, it was a little underexposed in the face and the eyes are really shadowed..so i thought it might look ok as a black and white. i don't think this edit necessarily looks great...i still think it looks a little overcooked..but this is just my view of it. and i'm really sorry, i didn't intend for the last comment to sound harsh, I didn't mean trash it, but i get so mad at myself when I have a great shot that they eyes are not lit right or focused on, I just meant for me it ruins it.

662523718_SnF9i-L.jpg
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    And here's my two cents worth too~

662581803_Tfzsx-M.jpg

As per usual, having the RAW file should help quite a bit in fixing this one. off camera lighting will only help you. Reflectors can help too, but then you give the subject a squint.
    tom wise
    oh...I'm glad you like it! i read the message before you edited...PM sent
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    kidzmom wrote:
    Okay, just wanted to get a different look. Did some playing. Thoughts? Does it look VERY VERY novice?
    Not at all. What it does look is somewhat 19th century. Wonderful.clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    bdcolen wrote:
    Not at all. What it does look is somewhat 19th century. Wonderful.clap.gif

By the way - stick with your treatment; the color and tonality are wonderful.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    Thank you Tom and BD for the comments. Tom, what effect did you use for the edit? That is really surreal...angelic almost--very nice! BD you put your finger on when tagging this as having a 19th Century feel. I was using Rembrant lighting for this shot and it went wrong...baby moved away (=bad shadowing, loss of focus). I'm still so thrilled with this shot though. It just held such timeless apeal for me when I saw it. I loved the "form" of this picture if that makes any sense. When looking at it, I was just drawn to something deeper. When I started to edit it was almost magical--- I had the feeling that it was turning into a watercolor before my eyes. I'm going to definately print this one on a canvas--it is more art than a photo (but I'm still happy). Thanks for the comments :)
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    I like your last post as you are asserting yourself that this is a special photo (versus trying to "salvage" it). When I first saw it, it just struck me as a beautiful shot of a beautiful baby. I did not think like a photographer, just as a viewer. So I had no nitpicks. Print your first posted shot, and people walking by would be captivated by it. I certainly am!
    edited September 28, 2009
    What a nice comment. Thank you. :):
    rainbow wrote:
    I like your last post as you are asserting yourself that this is a special photo (versus trying to "salvage" it). When I first saw it, it just struck me as a beautiful shot of a beautiful baby. I did not think like a photographer, just as a viewer. So I had no nitpicks. Print your first posted shot, and people walking by would be captivated by it. I certainly am!