Options

How many weddings do you do in a year?

Erica628Erica628 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited October 21, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I am just starting out. My primary focus is weddings, with family portraits (particularly) children. I am working up a "5 year plan" budgeting my time, money, education, equipment etc.

I know this is a REALLY loaded question and will vary greatly based on so many factors, but I'm curious about how many weddings I could expect to book in a year? i.e. assuming that, 3 years from now, I am willing to work 30 weddings per year, I have a great portfolio, all the right equipment, a "fair market" price point, a good marketing plan. Do I have a chance of booking that many? (I live in Indianapolis)

Can you tell me:

How much experience you have?
What kind of area do you live in? (suburban, rural, metropolitan)
What is your marketing budget per month?
What is your mid point wedding package price?
How many weddings would you be willing to do per year?
How many do you actually do?
Any other factors (besides those I've already listed) you think I should consider?

Comments

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Brilliant that you're taking the time to make a plan. Most don't and then wonder why they fail or work for pennies an hour.

There's an excellent book called "Best Business Practices for Photographers" by John Harrington (available in most larger bookstores) that walks you through the whole process and helps you figure out your cost of doing business and hence your rates for different types of photography. It's a must read for anyone starting out.

Good luck with it all. I'm sure you'll do well!clap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    At the prices you are currently charging, the quality of your site, and the quality of your work, I do not think it's realistic to expect 30 weddings a year in 3 years. There are a lot of things, apart from photography itself, that you can do to get more business. I suggest seeking out a photographer's business forum. A lot of them are paid sites, but the few dollar investment will really help you.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    I won't be as harsh as Ben. I think you can get to 30 weddings a year in 3 years. I don't think it will be easy as easy as putting it on a piece of paper.

I spend very little directly in advertising. I'd guess about $100-$150/mo. $75 of that goes to google adwords.

I didn't make any plans, but I adjust my prices every year based on how much work I'm putting in. I sure wouldn't do it this way if it was my only source of income.

I'll do any kind of work that comes my way as long as they will pay my fees.

I would recommend that you practice with exposure more and fill flash, that is where I see your photos needing work.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Erica628Erica628 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    I won't be as harsh as Ben. I think you can get to 30 weddings a year in 3 years. I don't think it will be easy as easy as putting it on a piece of paper.

I spend very little directly in advertising. I'd guess about $100-$150/mo. $75 of that goes to google adwords.

I didn't make any plans, but I adjust my prices every year based on how much work I'm putting in. I sure wouldn't do it this way if it was my only source of income.

I'll do any kind of work that comes my way as long as they will pay my fees.

I would recommend that you practice with exposure more and fill flash, that is where I see your photos needing work.

Thank you for your comments, and for not being as harsh as Ben. :D I know I have a lot to learn, part of my plan is education and "apprenticeship." I wasn't really looking for a critique of my work in particular, I was more wondering how many weddings it was realistic for a "good" photographer, charging "fair" prices, to book in a year? More like a poll.

Although, again, I do appreciate any constructive criticism of my work. Thanks again for taking the time to take a look
  • Options
    lookituplookitup Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    This is my experience and my answers (since you asked!)
    1. Four years' experience
    2. About four weddings per year
    3. Marketing budget is minimal - business cards, brochures and website. I've gotten just about all my weddings overhearing people in stores, out and about, and just ask "Do you have a photographer yet?"
    4. Price per wedding is $1,000 which includes meeting with bride and groom before to plan (get checklists of shots they're specifically looking for, VIPs); usually about an hour meeting. Then five hours for the wedding (2 hours of everyone getting ready and guests arriving, etc., 1/2 hour for ceremony, and 2 1/2 hours for "arranged shots" (which I can't stand...my best shots are the ones I get when the group is being shot by someone else...friends, etc...which makes them more candid) and reception. I offer packages of photos, but do not offer albums...too personal. More often than not I just sell a cd with all the shots for $300.00 and they can do whatever they'd like with them.
    5. I'd probably do no more than five...weddings are HUGE and if you screw up wedding photos...it's really bad; (I'd rather shoot equestrian...horses don't care what they look like!) and children who are always beautiful! rolleyes1.gif
    6. The biggest problem I've had has been posting the photos for the bride and groom to view. I shot beautiful pictures and wondered why no one was buying them. Found out it was because they were "taking" them from my website. So, while I was paid for the shoot, I lost the revenue from photos. It was absolutely horrifying and very hurtful because I had gotten to know these people, obviously, very well. I think that at this point, I'd never post photos; I'd have 4x6s printed (which you can do for less than $0.08) and sit down with them to let them choose.
    That's my two cents! Good luck with your plans and your weddings!

Susan
    www.talbotphotoart.com
    Erica628 wrote:
    I am just starting out. My primary focus is weddings, with family portraits (particularly) children. I am working up a "5 year plan" budgeting my time, money, education, equipment etc.

I know this is a REALLY loaded question and will vary greatly based on so many factors, but I'm curious about how many weddings I could expect to book in a year? i.e. assuming that, 3 years from now, I am willing to work 30 weddings per year, I have a great portfolio, all the right equipment, a "fair market" price point, a good marketing plan. Do I have a chance of booking that many? (I live in Indianapolis)

Can you tell me:

Any other factors (besides those I've already listed) you think I should consider?
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I'm very new to the business, but figured that I'd respond to your post so you'd get more replies. :D

How much experience you have? 15 months
    What kind of area do you live in? (suburban, rural, metropolitan) Rural
    What is your marketing budget per month? $0 (I only do word of mouth and Good AdWords, which are free thanks for a $100 credit they gave me. I sometimes do Craigslist if I have openings since they tend to be more last minute bookings.)

What is your mid point wedding package price? This year it was $600, next year it is $800.

How many weddings would you be willing to do per year? Given that I'm just starting out, I'm not turning down anyone as long as I am available and believe that I'd be able to edit them in a reasonable time.

How many do you actually do? 19, but those range from 3 hour small weddings (as small as 5 people including me) to full day 100+ people weddings.

Any other factors (besides those I've already listed) you think I should consider? As I said, I'm very new as well, so I'm not sure that I'm the best person to answer this. I suppose that my best advice is to never stop shooting, even if you are just doing it for practice and not editing them. Every day I am out with my camera trying something with flashes or playing around with different technique and camera settings. I never stop wanting to learn more. I'm also willing to shoot anything as long as it's legal. :D Even the insanely small weddings that are a long drive away. Everything can build your portfolio and result in another couple down the road.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Erica628 wrote:

1. Shooting for gigs for 3 years now, in weddings for first year.
    2. Area: Metropolitan
    3. Marketing: I don't spend any $$ on ads if that's what you're asking. I invested most of my money into my website + blog infrastructure and treating my clients well
    4. Mid-point price: Well my website says I'm at $2K for 2010
    5. # weddings I'd be willing to do: 15 - 20, I'm part-time
    6. I've already booked 12 for 2010. 2009 was my first year and I just went after whatever I had available and advertised on Craigslist mostly and booked 14 weddings and assisted at 2

I still consider myself really new, but have experienced amazing growth. My biggest tip to you: Focus on being a business person first, photographer second. Anyone can shoot great pictures, but maintaining a good business requires understanding of strategy, being comfortable analyzing large amounts of data, and being very open to pushing yourself to the next level. Planning is definitely key!
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog