Options

New Street and PJ forum discussion thread

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
edited October 4, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Hey street shooters,

We finally have our own forum :barb. Please look at the brief welcome thread and post any questions or comments here. I expect that there will be some confusion initially about what should be posted here or in People, or in Landscapes or Other Cool Shots. Don't fret about definitions, we'll get it all sorted out soon enough.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hey street shooters,

We finally have our own forum wings.gif. Please look at the brief welcome thread and post any questions or comments here. I expect that there will be some confusion initially about what should be posted here or in People, or in Landscapes or Other Cool Shots. Don't fret about definitions, we'll get it all sorted out soon enough.
    Yay! Highly welcomed addition! clap.gif
    So, I take it my upcoming reenactment shoot will fit into this new section, yes?
    Now if we only had "Pets and Kids"... mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    So, I take it my upcoming reenactment shoot will fit into this new section, yes?
    Hmm, read the sticky, and I guess the answer would be "no", since a typical reenactment, while being a PJ work, has no sign of "urban" surroundings.
    So I guess untill we start having "Capture of Reichstag" type of reenactmentsrolleyes1.gif I'll stick with people/OCS for that type of posts
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    So I guess untill we start having "Capture of Reichstag" type of reenactmentsrolleyes1.gif I'll stick with people/OCS for that type of posts

I wanna see that one. mwink.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hmm, read the sticky, and I guess the answer would be "no", since a typical reenactment, while being a PJ work, has no sign of "urban" surroundings.

PJ is PJ, IMO. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    WOW!!! I'm like totally stoked, inspired, and motivated.

I'm not very artistic so I just couldn't get into artistic photography. But, human behavior and life itself is such a fascinating study that I've been thinking of PJ but wasn't quite sure what to shoot and how to get into it.

I've started out with documenting our local emergency services incidents but our city is rather quiet and peaceful so there is not a whole lot to shoot. My initial efforts can be seen here and here.

Now, with this forum I'll be able to learn and develop PJ skills and this will likely become my new passion. Like I said, I'm already stoked.

Thanks people for adding this new forum!clap.gif

PS: Our area isn't very urban so I hope that's not a big problem.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    Excellent addition! wings.gifclap:ivar
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    Richard wrote:
    I wanna see that one. mwink.gif
    Yeah, me too... That's why I love CoD games :-)
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    It's going to be a fun place to see evolve! thumb.gif The one addition or clarification I'd like to see is that the forum explicitly invite and include documentary-style photography as well, urban or not. A lot of the photo competitions I've been looking into seem to prefer short four or so shot series that tell a specific story. I'm hoping this will be a place to experiment and get feedback for those as well.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    In practice, the real question is which forum BD will read. I think he will only inhabit a single forum. So, if there is critical mass here, that's probably where he'll be. And of course where he is will contribute to critical mass.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    rutt wrote:
    In practice, the real question is which forum BD will read. I think he will only inhabit a single forum.

Um, I can't speak for BD, but I don't think that's the case.

What about it, BD? ear.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    Go play in traffic. HAHA! rolleyes1.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    what does PJ stand for ?
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    blaser321 wrote:
    what does PJ stand for ?

Photojournalism.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    It has been a week since we opened this forum and I am happy to see that it is attracting some great shots and lively discussions. clap.gifclapclap.gif

This morning, I moved a couple of shots to the People forum. Closely cropped head shots sometimes show no urban context even though they were shot on the street. I think these are a better fit in People. I realize that it can be difficult to make the distinction at times, especially when there is so much bokeh in the background that it could be anywhere. I think we'll develop a better sense of what goes where over time. Think about it, but there's no need to obsess...the taxonomy police won't be breaking down anyone's door. rolleyes1.gif

OK, go play in traffic! deal.gif