San Juan Islands Shots

SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited September 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Had a fun shoot the other day, although it was pretty darned foggy. Here's a few from my trip in the San Juan Islands. I found a new spot, high in the rocks where there is a lot of boat traffic. I can shoot down on boats as they round the point, which is fun!

661326156_Tf7oN-M.jpg

661329683_5A4YW-M.jpg

661339849_ZFkJ3-M.jpg

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited September 26, 2009
    Nice fog in #1 and #3. thumb.gif Both could use a bit of horizon straightening, I think.
  • SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Thanks for looking, Richard. In the first photo, I'm looking down and the horizon is actual a curved shoreline. I rotated the image so that the rising bank of fog is close close to level. So I think I rotated to canvas pretty true.

On the third photo, I'm confused, and maybe you have some suggestions. The ferry is angled away from me. The fog band is, also. So while I'm checking to see if the horizon is correct, I pull a horizontal line down in PS. The waterline of the ferry is off a degree or so, but the vertical railings and windows of the ferry are dead on. I even checked the tops of the trees in the background, and they look plum. My perspective is probably about 200' above sea level if that makes a difference.

I agree the last photo looks off, but how can I tell for sure? Let me know if you have any suggestions!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    Seatime wrote:
    I agree the last photo looks off, but how can I tell for sure? Let me know if you have any suggestions!

You don't need to know for sure; let your eye be the judge. Verticals are the best objective guide. But in the last shot, you would have to zoom in at high magnification to even see a vertical. OTOH, the water line and top of the fog layer have a clear clockwise rotation of at least one degree. So just make that look right and don't worry about the rest. deal.gif
  • SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    You make a good point, Richard. Thanks for the reply. The shot doesn't quite look right. I realize it may have turned out better if taken from the beach, instead of my high vantage point. Since I'm shooting downward, there is an illusion that the horizon is not level.

I agree, it's gotta look right, regardless. So thanks for making it clear.

Best,