70-200 f/2.8L IS USM autofocus noise concern

Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
edited September 26, 2009 in Cameras
I just received a 70-200 f/2.8 IS (used) and the first time I put it on the camera, there is a loud clicking sound when I engage the autofocus. It sounds like it clicks when it begins to focus and also when the focus attempt is complete. Also, I can hear the autofocus motor humming during this.. Is it toast? Any ball park figures what it would cost to get it fixed?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 26, 2009
    What happens if you turn off the IS?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    The clicking stops. Didn't even think to check that, thanks Ziggy. Guess I know what the problem is. How loud is the IS supposed to be, if audible at all...?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    ... How loud is the IS supposed to be, if audible at all...?

I don't have that particular lens but it can vary by lens. Does the IS jump around at all (when activated and you are looking through the viewfinder)?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    I don't think it did, but I may have overreacted to the noise. I will do some more testing tonight and load the pictures on the computer to take a look. When looking thru the viewfinder, everything seemed ok. When I do more testing later, I will post pics with the IS on and off. Thanks again.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    I have that lens and I can say that it's quite easy to hear the IS start and stop in any reasonably quite room. I would think Ziggy's suggestion/question about the stability of the image in the viewfinder with the IS engaged would be a good indicator as to whether or not you have an issue. If the image in the viewfinder is stable within a second (+/-) of engaging the IS, I would think you would be smiling.

If you do testing with the IS on, don't have it mounted to a tripod as the IS is not designed to co-exist with a tripod (though on the 70-200 lenses, it's supposed to be smart enough to figure out if the camera/lens combination is actually on a tripod).