Options

Topaz Remask

rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
edited November 6, 2009 in Finishing School
Has anyone tried Topaz Remask?

I really like Topaz Adjust and wonder what the general consensus is regarding Topaz Remask?

http://www.topazlabs.com/remask/howfast.php

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    rpcrowe wrote:
    Has anyone tried Topaz Remask?

I really like Topaz Adjust and wonder what the general consensus is regarding Topaz Remask?

http://www.topazlabs.com/remask/howfast.php

When I first saw it I thought "A-ha! It's the old Photoshop Extract filter" but it looks like it might be a little more sophisticated than that. Will have to experiment to see if it lives up to its promise.

However, I can't seem to download it right now to test it out. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2009
    And I tried it out.

Seems like a supersized version of the Extract tool.

So if you used the extract tool and liked it for masking, you'll probably like ReMask even more. And it works on 16-bit images, which Extract does not.

I tried it out on a simple image, ran Remask, then on a seperate layer ran Extract. Did a difference blending mode, and ... the result was they both ended up being about the same. Some areas ReMask did slightly better, some areas Extract did better. On the whole, ReMask did slightly better, and it does have the advantage of being able to go back over areas where it fell down to try again.

So... if you liked the old Extract tool in PS, you'll love ReMask. If you need to do exceptionally complex masking, you'll probably need to use the other tools in PS, or get a more complex masking tool.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2009
    I got an ad today for ReMask2. Any idea what the difference is, and if it carries benefits relative to deficiencies you saw?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I got an ad today for ReMask2. Any idea what the difference is, and if it carries benefits relative to deficiencies you saw?

Looks like they're giving it a whole new interface, rather than relying on the built in photoshop tools. In some ways this makes it even more like the old extract tool. mwink.gif

NB -- I don't use remask 1, don't own it, don't do enough masking to justify it, and what little I do is covered by the basic PS toolset. It's obvious that a lot of people feel very differently. Remask appears to be a flagship tool for TopazLabs at this point, so good on them.

I just wish they'd work on Detail 2.0 ...:D