Living in the past

jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
edited September 26, 2009 in Cameras
I use a d40 and want to upgrade.

I like the price of teh d200 now and like the idea of a pro quality body even if the iq isn't the most up to date.

Anyone sick of the techno race?

Anyone buying brand-new-used cameras?

Any reason not to buy a d200 now and upgrade to a d300 in 4 or 5 years when the d400 comes out?

I'm awfully tempted to load my pentax k1000 with a roll of B&W and forget about everything but shutter, aperture, ISO, and a 5 part test strip.

John

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 26, 2009
    The Nikon D200 is still a very fast shooting camera. If you want my permission, you have it. Lots of people still use the D200 and we just had a couple of users upgrade to it recently.

I do suggest using an external flash and appropriate modifier indoors and in low light.

Will the D200 meet your needs?
    What benefits are you expecting to realize?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Nikon D200 is still a very fast shooting camera. If you want my permission, you have it. Lots of people still use the D200 and we just had a couple of users upgrade to it recently.

I do suggest using an external flash and appropriate modifier indoors and in low light.

Will the D200 meet your needs?
    What benefits are you expecting to realize?
    I second the sentiments of Ziggy here!

I miss my D200. I upgraded out of need. But that cam is a tank, and it performs well. Sweet camera.

Use is a most pertinent question, so don't overlook it. It may seem odd to some, but I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy a different brand, if the use was needed.
    tom wise
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    Thanks for teh replies guys, but I think I may have misrepresented my point.

Forget the specific brands and models.

How many accomplished(in thier own view) photographers igonore the latest and greatest and just run what they brung?

P.S. Great link in the sig line tom. I'll be forwarding that to EVERYONE.
  • jrmyrnsmjrmyrnsm Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    Well as extremely accomplished photographer:ivar I still use an (old) D200 and am still happy. For me it was a money issue, I recently switched to Nikon and wanted to have two of the same Dx00 cameras and I couldn't swing a pair of d300 at the time. I'm happy with the quality pictures I get from the "old" D200 but do still plan on getting my hands on a D300 when they come down a little in price. In general though I've never owned the most current model camera because as I see it, if I'm using the best available camera from last year whats the big deal?headscratch.gif I'm starting to ramble so I'll stop. Good luck with the upgrade should you go ahead with it.
    Georgia based wedding photographer shooting all Fuji and loving every second of it!

My Website My Blog DPChallenge