dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    OK, no responses is never a good sign.

How about this version?

661981584_Xcf4Q-L.jpg
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    The second picture is great! thumb.gif But not sure if its strong enough for theme. Although with I think your title gives the clue that your going for inside out.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    I like the color version, Dan. thumb.gif The insides of the saguaro stand out much better. They look too blown out in the B&W version. But I like the crop of the B&W. Can you show us a color version of the cropped photo?

It took me a few seconds to figure it out. But I live on the east coast and don't get a chance to see these close up too often. And, I never realized until now what these look like from the inside! I think your shot's plenty strong enough on theme. mwink.gif

One of these days I'm going to get over to your neck of the woods!
  • Options
    richtersl wrote:
    I like the color version, Dan. thumb.gif The insides of the saguaro stand out much better. They look too blown out in the B&W version. But I like the crop of the B&W. Can you show us a color version of the cropped photo?

It took me a few seconds to figure it out. But I live on the east coast and don't get a chance to see these close up too often. And, I never realized until now what these look like from the inside! I think your shot's plenty strong enough on theme. mwink.gif

One of these days I'm going to get over to your neck of the woods!

Thanks Linda. Here is the color version.

662365155_Xc4nh-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Definately the color. Can't decide between the crop and the full one. I like seeing the shattered trunk in the first, but the crop really centers on the upside down aspect.

Is it just me, or does that chunk of material at the bottom look like an alligator?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    The color version is a very cool shot. Theme wise it took me a minute to get it, but that might be due to the fact that I haven't had my coffee and I'm generally slow anyway.

Personally, I like the uncropped version. I think it's a great composition, and the crop seems to take away some of the colors.
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Is it just me, or does that chunk of material at the bottom look like an alligator?

Good eye! It kind of does. Maybe a dragon?
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • Options
    sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    Original Color is my fav, still don't think it is strong enough on the theme
  • Options
    RurikRurik Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    maybe I dont understand all this theme stuff, but this seems to fit "upside down"

am I way off?
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    Nice work Dan. thumb.gif

I favor your original color version - the processing is very nice....though I'm sorta into that type of processing as of late anyway. I really like the bit of mountain scape in this version, which I really miss in #1. My only suggestion for this version would be to remove just a bit off the top and a bit off the left, but I guess that's a matter of preference.

#1 has sort of a fine art quality to it IMO, though the near tangency on the left makes me feel uncomfortable.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    Duh! - I was thinking only of inside out ... up side down ... I get it - a bit slow I am .. sorry Danny.
  • Options
    RurikRurik Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    this image is titled with Opinions Please (#34 Inside Out)

so thats why I mentioned that upside down is what I was seeing...

nothing directed towards you sgonen.
  • Options
    sbargesbarge Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    I like the uncropped color version - cool shot! It did take me a while to see how it fits with the theme. When I first saw it I thought it was upside down.
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2009
    The photo is a dying saguaro. The inside ribs are all exposed and the arm is hanging upside down.

I guess if you are not familiar with these rare giants than you wouldn't know, but this is a dual theme image.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    The full image gives us the needed perspective to understand that each of the elements within the frame are interconnected and why they are positioned they way they are.

I prefer your original B&W because of its edginess and artistic feel. but for this challenge I do not think it is strong. The full version gives a much better upside down feel but is also not as dynamic or edgy feeling.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    Dan, I understood what it was on the first image, but maybe because I have come to know what types of scenes to see from you. Cacti made sense.

The first one, the B&W, just left me sort of blah.
    I love the color version in your second post. The colors make me think of a vintage postcard.
  • Options
    sherstone wrote:
    The full image gives us the needed perspective to understand that each of the elements within the frame are interconnected and why they are positioned they way they are.

I prefer your original B&W because of its edginess and artistic feel. but for this challenge I do not think it is strong. The full version gives a much better upside down feel but is also not as dynamic or edgy feeling.

Thank you Sean. I did kind of like my first attempt at edginess and art with that b&w
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    My fave is post #2. The colours are gorgeous, the lighting beautiful and I LOVE that gradient.
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    MrsCue wrote:
    My fave is post #2. The colours are gorgeous, the lighting beautiful and I LOVE that gradient.

Thanks MrsCue. I entered it.
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Great choice for your entry Dan, that's the one I'd have chosen too thumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain