Liquor Bottle

B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
edited September 27, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I saw the thread in the assignment forum about bottles. Decided to give it a try but didn't want to bump a year old thread. Here are my results at high key and low key.

662020072_quWgK-XL.jpg

662020997_u7Bk6-XL.jpg

The low key version is a bit underexposed at the cap.

HK Setup:
Backdrop is actually my softbox at about 1/2 power. Had bottle surrounded by black items to reduce unwanted reflections. ISO 100 1/60 shutter speed at f 22. SB600 camera left snooted to expose the label.

LK Setup:
Softbox camera left at about 1/4 power. Black items behind and two right as well as above bottle to control reflections. ISO 100 1/60 shutter speed at f 8.

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    I think both are excellent shot, but I personally prefer the second shot. It feels like it fits the mood of the bottle, if that makes sense.

Kris
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    Think you did a really nice job with both efforts. They high key seems
    a little tilted right. Just a wee bit. Or is that just me?
    Michael
  • JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    For both of them, I'd prefer a full bottle and the label on the back removed.

Nr1
    The colour of the whisky is really good. There's a lot of things going on in the glass and that's good too. That's hard to shoot on a white background.
    The label is not good. I cannot read it well enough. I'd prefer the one from nr2 shopped in. And the reflection is a bit heavy.

Nr2
    The label is perfect. Really very good.
    The whisky itself is way too dark and there are a lot of grey aries in the whisky part. This does not look like whisky.

My favorite would be nr1, because the whisky looks the most tasty.

These are really good attempts. Photographing bottles is far from easy. But I believe that with a little bit of effort they could become beyond "good".

(I'm an art-director that supervised photography for a large chain of liquor stores for 5 years, sorry if I seem a bit too picky...)