Err 80 and Err 30 on Canon 50d

jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited October 1, 2009 in Cameras
I've seen Err 80 happen twice so far recently. Each time, the shutter almost seems to get stuck and the error message appears on the top screen. I was only able to do anything with the camera once I shut it off and turned it back on. I just got Err 30 yesterday and the same sort of thing seemed to be happening with the camera, but this time a message was on my big screen telling me to shut the camera off. My manual doesn't have anything about those specific errors - just to "write down the error code and call a Canon service center," which I plan on doing tomorrow. I was just hoping to get some info on here first. I have only had this camera since end of June/beginning of July and bought it new from B&H. If it's something relatively major, I personally would prefer that they replace my camera, but I'm not sure how things like this usually work. Also, does anyone know how long I can expect to be without my camera? I have several photo shoots coming up in the month of October. Thanks!

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    jennievii wrote:
    I've seen Err 80 happen twice so far recently. Each time, the shutter almost seems to get stuck and the error message appears on the top screen. I was only able to do anything with the camera once I shut it off and turned it back on. I just got Err 30 yesterday and the same sort of thing seemed to be happening with the camera, but this time a message was on my big screen telling me to shut the camera off. My manual doesn't have anything about those specific errors - just to "write down the error code and call a Canon service center," which I plan on doing tomorrow. I was just hoping to get some info on here first. I have only had this camera since end of June/beginning of July and bought it new from B&H. If it's something relatively major, I personally would prefer that they replace my camera, but I'm not sure how things like this usually work. Also, does anyone know how long I can expect to be without my camera? I have several photo shoots coming up in the month of October. Thanks!

Good luck with getting them to replace the camera.

Err 30 is the shutter. It has to be replaced. I got two on my 5D MKII; I don't believe it was fixed correctly the first time.

If you have the gear, join CPS. It's about a 3 day turn around. If not, it'll take a little longer, but not too much more time. I sent my 5DII off on a Monday and Fed Ex attempted delivery on Friday. The Fed Ex ground guys where I live at are a bunch of *Expletive*, so I ended up not getting it until Tuesday.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I still have to find some time to call Canon to have them walk me through whatever it is they want me to do with the menu, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to fix the problem. I just need the camera to be usable for at least the next few weeks before I send it off.
    Good luck with getting them to replace the camera.

Err 30 is the shutter. It has to be replaced. I got two on my 5D MKII; I don't believe it was fixed correctly the first time.

If you have the gear, join CPS. It's about a 3 day turn around. If not, it'll take a little longer, but not too much more time. I sent my 5DII off on a Monday and Fed Ex attempted delivery on Friday. The Fed Ex ground guys where I live at are a bunch of *Expletive*, so I ended up not getting it until Tuesday.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 1, 2009
    jennievii wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I still have to find some time to call Canon to have them walk me through whatever it is they want me to do with the menu, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to fix the problem. I just need the camera to be usable for at least the next few weeks before I send it off.

If the shutter is acting up it will probably only get worse. I suggest that you should not trust the camera and you should rent/purchase another as a backup for anything critical.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    jennievii wrote:

As Ziggy said, it doesn't get any better. If you can make time, send it in. I know it sucks, especially if you have obligations and no back up camera. You're better off to postpone rather than have a dead camera in the middle of a shoot.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.