Testing a 135mm L Prime lens #2

RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
edited September 28, 2009 in People
Here's another shot I took with the 135mm at f/2.0. I love the sharpness and bokeh but will obviously have to work on DOF plane and shooting at f/2.5 or f/2.8 for this type of shot because his left eye is slightly out of focus. C&C welcome

662329754_uzUqm-L.jpg
Randy Brogen, CPP
www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Love it!!! Cute kiddo! Gorgeous eyes even out of focus. Enjoy your new lens...can't wait to see more shots!
    RBrogen wrote:
    Here's another shot I took with the 135mm at f/2.0. I love the sharpness and bokeh but will obviously have to work on DOF plane and shooting at f/2.5 or f/2.8 for this type of shot because his left eye is slightly out of focus. C&C welcome
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    That lens clearly found a great home with you! This one probably could have been stopped down a tad, but I still like it. There's a slightly cool cast to it on my monitor - more green than blue.

Lovely shot and cute kid!
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    What an adorable child! Thanks for posting this picture, I recently posted a question about shooting portraits at f1.8 & 2.0. I need to shoot some hockey player headshots and wanted opinions on shooting them with the 50mm 1.8 wide open. This photo shows to me that it can be done, or pretty close (at least at f 2.0) and get a very good picture.

Stephanie
    What an adorable child! Thanks for posting this picture, I recently posted a question about shooting portraits at f1.8 & 2.0. I need to shoot some hockey player headshots and wanted opinions on shooting them with the 50mm 1.8 wide open. This photo shows to me that it can be done, or pretty close (at least at f 2.0) and get a very good picture.

Stephanie

Oh, absolutely it can be done... it just requires ABSOLUTE accuracy with your focus point, and if you can keep the subject's face square on so both eyes are in the sliver of clarity, it works best (the eyes are sharp, and the rest of the face melts away). The 50mm will, of course, let you open up a little more than the 135 will, simply because of the focal length, but it can still be tricky, and you have to move those focus points around to catch the dominant eye really well, IME. For the sports portraits you mentioned, I'd be careful about going below 2.2 or so.

Here's some REALLY shallow dof shots, btw (I personally love them, but I know some folks find the focus "falloff" too extreme in a portrait). Look at the portraits (rather than the in-costume shots) on this page: http://www.kirstenallegri.com/gallery.php
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Hey Randy,

I'm considering this lens. What is that I'm seeing on his collar? CA ~ the bright blue on the upper part of the collar.

Your using a 5D2 with this shot, right?
    Randy
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    Thank you all for responding.

cmkultradome: Yes what divamum said. It can definitely be done but you have to be spot on with your focus at that shallow DOF and the subject has to be facing square on for both eyes to be in focus. I'd recommend, as divamum did, try 2.5 and 2.8 and that allows a little fudge factor to keep the eyes acceptably share.

Thanks for the kind words divamum.

Randy: Not sure....there was actually very little done to this, which is another reason I LLOOOVVVVEE this glass. I'll have to go back to the orig shot and see if it is there. Yes I am using the 5D MKII
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    Just tried the 135 Nikkon f2 DC
    It's a cool lens. I made some mistakes, forgetting to adjust the DC ring a couple of times. Bu overall it was a great lens. The brokeh was amazing!

661971552_wrisB-XL.jpg661974218_qei5f-XL.jpg661977548_Axfry-XL.jpg

Here is one of my mistakes. It looks very soft if you dont remember to change the DC ring

661982354_JeKKG-XL.jpg

Done right it can look great.

661976778_ihQUW-XL.jpg

Any constructive criticism is welcome. It's my first portrait session.
    Just tried the 135 Nikkon f2 DC
    It's a cool lens. I made some mistakes, forgetting to adjust the DC ring a couple of times. Bu overall it was a great lens. The brokeh was amazing!

661971552_wrisB-XL.jpg661974218_qei5f-XL.jpg661977548_Axfry-XL.jpg

Here is one of my mistakes. It looks very soft if you dont remember to change the DC ring

661982354_JeKKG-XL.jpg

Done right it can look great.

661976778_ihQUW-XL.jpg

Any constructive criticism is welcome. It's my first portrait session.

Any opinions on the one below? I love it but am not sure if it's any good.

661980407_onCeb-X2.jpg
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    RBrogen wrote:
    Not sure....there was actually very little done to this, which is another reason I LLOOOVVVVEE this glass.

Honestly, lol, you make me want to meet people so I can take pictures of them outside, Randy! All I've used my 135 is tightly indoors at 3200 ISO (and only during one workshop), ugh.

@Jacobovs
    Nice shots! Again, it tells me to shoot outside lol. Very nice bokeh and crispness. Although, you probably should start a new thread instead to minimize confusion on responses between yours and Randy's.

Kris
    marikris wrote:
    Honestly, lol, you make me want to meet people so I can take pictures of them outside, Randy! All I've used my 135 is tightly indoors at 3200 ISO (and only during one workshop), ugh.

@Jacobovs
    Nice shots! Again, it tells me to shoot outside lol. Very nice bokeh and crispness. Although, you probably should start a new thread instead to minimize confusion on responses between yours and Randy's.

Kris

Thanks Kris, Sorry for the confusion, I was just advocating the 135 as a great outdoor portrait lens.
    Every time somebody shares shots from this lens I'm tempted to sell everything I've got and go buy one. It's just sooo beautiful (especially on a 5dII!)

cmkultradome, be aware too that the 135 is one of Canon's best lenses EVER. The 50 1.8 is good but... it's not quite in that league (!) and won't give you that kind of smooth bokeh even with a perfectly set up shot. Stop down a little... and if you do shoot below about f4, make sure you take a few so that you get at least one that's dead in focus. No doubt that when I shoot really shallow I have to accept that there will be a few which don't make it - sometimes my fault, sometimes a slight movement of the subject etc etc. Nature of the beast when shooting for shallow DOF nod.gif
    divamum wrote:
    Every time somebody shares shots from this lens I'm tempted to sell everything I've got and go buy one. It's just sooo beautiful (especially on a 5dII!)

cmkultradome, be aware too that the 135 is one of Canon's best lenses EVER. The 50 1.8 is good but... it's not quite in that league (!) and won't give you that kind of smooth bokeh even with a perfectly set up shot. Stop down a little... and if you do shoot below about f4, make sure you take a few so that you get at least one that's dead in focus. No doubt that when I shoot really shallow I have to accept that there will be a few which don't make it - sometimes my fault, sometimes a slight movement of the subject etc etc. Nature of the beast when shooting for shallow DOF nod.gif

:) Yes that lens is so sweet....and the only negative is actually learning curve on dealing with a sliver size DOF....and to me that is not even a negative....definitely one to consider adding to the bag :)
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    Color
    I love the colors in this shot. I've found that the 85mm 1.2 gives me unexperienced-before color (without post). Is it the same with the 135?
    damonff wrote:
    I love the colors in this shot. I've found that the 85mm 1.2 gives me unexperienced-before color (without post). Is it the same with the 135?

Damonff: yes that has been my experience with this glass...ultra sharp, untouchable bokeh, brilliant colors....just a great piece of equipment.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com