Options

Just my luck, when buying a camera

RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited July 5, 2005 in Cameras
I fianly got enough money to get the digital reble all they have left is the display modle. The previos day they had one more. I had them order one but they said it is set in there computers as a nonreplenishable item. My choices are either buy the display modle at a 10% discount which I realy dont want to do. Or save more money and get the XT if they cant get any more standard rebles in stoc. The display modle has finger prints on the outside of the lense and dust on the pento-mirror. I wasent able to look at the sensor though. another thing I'm worried about is the focus, When ever I go in there it is set to AF and I feer people trying to crank on it because they cant figure out how to turn it to MF.
I will be purchasing it from a US Military Base and the prices are about $100 less for the reble than any competitor and the XT is only about $50 less than the others.

Any comments on the risks of a display modle would be helpful.

Thank you for your time.
Ryan
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 5, 2005
    Hello Ryan,

Yours is a decision only you can make as you can see the display model and we
    can't.

Does the camera come with all the packaging and everything it should (software,
    cables, etc.)? Does it come with the mfg warranty? How does the camera look? If
    it's beat up, I wouldn't buy it but if it looks good and comes with everything a boxed
    copy would, I would consider it.

Welcome to dgrin!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    Thank you for the response. Every thing is in the box I think it even has two batteries for some reason. The camera looks to be in fair condition all the doors and flaps work. I havent had the chance to turn it on yet though. Two questions I have are would finger prints on the outside of the lense deteriorate any films. Also if some one moves the focus while in auto would it efect any thing.

BTW it would have a 90 day store waranty plus the canon waranty.

Thank you for your time.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    Papy wrote:
    Thank you for the response. Every thing is in the box I think it even has two batteries for some reason. The camera looks to be in fair condition all the doors and flaps work. I havent had the chance to turn it on yet though. Two questions I have are would finger prints on the outside of the lense deteriorate any films. Also if some one moves the focus while in auto would it efect any thing.

BTW it would have a 90 day store waranty plus the canon waranty.

Thank you for your time.

Ryan

Ryan,

See if the store will throw in a lens cleaning kit. That should take care of the finger
    prints.

As to AF questions, as long as someone's not holding focus ring while trying to AF,
    you should be fine. But then that's why you want to shoot as many pictures within the
    90 day period. Find out if anything's wrong with it as soon as possible. Don't hesitate
    to return it if there are issues.

Good luck!

Ian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Ryan,

See if the store will throw in a lens cleaning kit. That should take care of the finger
    prints.

As to AF questions, as long as someone's not holding focus ring while trying to AF,
    you should be fine. But then that's why you want to shoot as many pictures within the
    90 day period. Find out if anything's wrong with it as soon as possible. Don't hesitate
    to return it if there are issues.

Good luck!

Ian

This seems like good advice. I admit I'd be leery of buying a demo. Maybe less leery if it was tethered, so at least I could be sure it wasn't dropped.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    Thanks for the tip. It is tethered and at the highest point posible. I think I might end up having to get my own cleaning kit though. Since they are already discounting me $68.99 ontop of there already cheap price. I think I will walk over there again and look at it (again) lol. Its nice having it right acrost the street.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    Papy wrote:
    I think I might end up having to get my own cleaning kit though..

Never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no :D

Ian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no :D

Ian
    nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    :D:D:D:): :): :): :D:D:D
    Nothing can take the grin off my face right now.
    I just took it for a test spin and I'm in love. I ended up just buying a cleaning kit
    but that was on clearance also. I have alote to learn I even managed to mess up the focus point while using presets lol. Thanks for the help you guys have given me. I ended up paying $621.09 for it with the lens kit. I also bought a 1GB
    35x wright 41x read Dane-Elec CF. I am charging it right know because I know tomarow it and I will get a work out. Well back to a book of a manual.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2005
    Hey Ryan!

Something exciting to look forward to tomorrow! Congrats!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Ian