Challenging portrait for C&C

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 30, 2009 in People
Reshoots entirely possible (and, in fact, we will be doing a series with a plain bg at some point - these are just Round 1 :)

This is a rare sighting of my dh, who hates, hates, hates, hates, HATES having photographs taken (did I say hates?). His right eye is profoundly turned (outward), and he's had some terribly unflattering shots in the past; it's not really surprising he's somewhat camera shy.

However, he needs a few promotional shots to use for various things, not least of which a lecture series which he does. My goal is to minimise the variation in eyes without actually digitally altering them, so I'm trying to figure out angles and lighting that will do the job. We were going for the academic look, hence the decision to use the bookcase as a background. This created some challenges, however - one of the reasons I wanted to share was because I'm sure I'm not the only one who runs into space and placement limitations when trying to shoot outsisde a studio!

- to use the bookcase (in our living room), the key light had to come from camera right, simply because there's really nowhere else for it to go :rofl Given that the left eye is the "good" eye, this pretty much guaranteed broad lighting, which would'nt have been my first choice. We do have a few from the other side, but they just didnd't quite work.

- similarly, I could only shoot from the vantage point I had - there's simply nowhere to stand to shoot from the other side.

- I could pull him 4-5 feet in front of it, but that's about it (see previous notes regarding space). I was hoping for greater light falloff between him and the bookcase, but I'm nto sure I quite managed what I wanted!

- no matter what he sat on, one of the shelves of the bookcase went through his head!! I still haven't figured out how to get around that :scratch

Anyway, here's what I'm starting with - would love some feedback to apply to the next batch!!

32" shoothru camera right; reflector for fill (fwiw, he likes this one better)

662746616_JYVuG-M.jpg

45" shoothru camera right; window light for fill

662746543_W2cuf-M.jpg

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    These are great!! They made me smile - in a very good way.

The bg doesn't bother me at all. It is nicely blurred and it doesn't seem to me that anything is growing out of his head.

I can see why he likes the first one - kinda sexy (don't tell him I said that!). Maybe a little too dark on his right side for a classic shot, but I like it a lot the way it is.

There is a ton of personality sparkling out of the second one though. He should be quite happy with that one too.

My only thought is that maybe you need a bit more space around his head. Both pictures feel just a bit too tight to me.

Can't wait to see what more you come up with. dh should definitely trust you to photograph him. :D

Virginia

Email
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    I think the first is my preferred version - from the angle through lighting to clothes to the space within the frame- all seem more academic looking to me.

Are you able to get a shot from above at all? I have no idea what it would look like, but I'd like to see you try it.

ann
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    These both are wonderful! I really liked the first shot. He looks like an author..and this is the shot for his book jacket. He really looks wonderful and the bookcase is the perfect setting for his 'intellectual' look. thumb.gif You captured him perfectly.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    #1 for me! I love the mood. It really makes him seem mysterious yet scholarly. The achedemic that could tell you some great stories.

(Love his hair, it makes his "look"!)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Thanks ladies - the "jacket cover" look was exactly what I was going for, so it seems like we nailed that at least.

I agree they're tight, Virginia - sadly, I could'nt back up any more. I was using the 100mm just because it's so darned flattering, but it was tight in a 10x15 room with lots of furniture in it! I took some with the 17-50, but then I ran into bg blurring problems (ie, too much DOF). There are a few that have some more airspace, fortunately.

Here's another one (VERY conservative by his normal standards, fwiw - it looks like him, but he rarely wears a jacket/tie!!)

Also please feel free to comment if the disparity between eyes is bothering - it's important for me to know if I haven't managed to work with that well enough (ie, would you notice without the explanation, or be wondering which eye he's using etc etc etc)
    662806496_Dn2eU-M.jpg
    #1 for me! I love the mood. It really makes him seem mysterious yet scholarly. The achedemic that could tell you some great stories.

(Love his hair, it makes his "look"!)

rolleyes1.gif

His hair is normally not this short - I just cut it last week because he had to play for a memorial service and I did the wifely thing and told him he need to cut it OR ELSE :D. Normally he looks like Beethoven!!! rolleyes1.gif

Tx Heather! I"ll probably be posting a few more variants, so please check in and keep me on track!!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    I hear about the space limitations you have, but I think you can do better.
    First of all - good decision on the broad lighting, keep it that way. I would only lowered the key a little bit, and used some soft of gobo to stop the light the the hair level. Needless to say, the key should be position very close to his face, just outside the frame, to avoid the spilling on the bookshelves. Probably gridded at 20 degrees top and maybe barn doored from above.
    Now the bookshelves are important part of this image, but they shall not be lit with the same light. I'm thinking of a gridded light (30 degree max), probably with dark red gel, positioned either very low (behind the subject) or very high (imitating ceiling light) The difference in light source axes should create more visual distance between the subject and the bg.
    I'm not sure if the scene would need a hair light or a diagonal rim. It's hard to visualize the effect without seeing the actual room.
    In any case remember: you must control the spill. It's your #1 foe in small rooms.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    I also like the first photo the best. I think I like it because the entire picture, including skin tone is "warmer".
    I really like #1! I love his expression and the dramatic lighting- he looks deep. Maybe try to get a little more light reflected onto the dark side. I only wish he weren't so very far to the left. My husband is not too fond of the camera, either!

Caroline
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    He's a handsome fella Diva! At least your shot of him makes him to appear that way...and that's why he should insist YOU shoot him!

Being a nurse makes me very comfortable with all sorts of asymmetry...and we all have that!

I can see him being shot just like this and it being fine. Of course Nik, and I think Caroline mentioned the dark side needing a reflector to balance out a bit, at least in this particular shot.

I can't help but think that a true left profile shot would work as well. On what does he lecture? that could well play into how to shoot him as well.

I do think, if you can talk him into it, that this is a good start and worth exploring. That cardigan works well to balance his beard: round neckline, Round beardline.

I am amazed you did this with a DX and 100mm...that IS a challenge! Seems that 50mm would be just about right instead~
    tom wise
    edited September 28, 2009
    Thanks everybody! Some great ideas to try here.

I actually ENHANCED the darkness and extreme contrast on the left side (his right) - the lighting was initially more even so I can play with that; the reason for darkening it was to minimise the eye involvement. Both eyes work individually, but not in "stereo", so when he's using the good - left - one, the right one goes out of focus and can look rather dead to those who aren't used to it. (Caught me out a couple of times too - got perfect framing... and then realised I'd used the focus point on the wrong eye. Whoops!)

Nik, good idea on the grid. I have a small grid and can make a cardboard snoot for my speedlights, so I can play with that. Not sure about what colour gel to try - I'd love to have an incandescent look to the background so I'm wondering if I shoot him neutral but the bg with something straw/warm if I might get that effect. Good catch on that - I'll play with it thumb.gif

Thanks so much for the very helpful comments!

ETA: Angevin, the 100 was pushing it, but when I used the 50mm end of the Tamron I just didn't like the results as much. Hmmm.. thinking this through, maybe I should use the 50mm 1.8 - I can open it up and see if I can get the bg blur I need with the shorter FL giving me a bit more moving-around room.... headscratch.gif
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    divamum wrote:

ETA: Angevin, the 100 was pushing it, but when I used the 50mm end of the Tamron I just didn't like the results as much. Hmmm.. thinking this through, maybe I should use the 50mm 1.8 - I can open it up and see if I can get the bg blur I need with the shorter FL giving me a bit more moving-around room.... headscratch.gif

Yeah, Thats the lens I was thinking of, seeing as how you have that one too...it'd be about right (75mm?, so half) and then perhaps give you a bit more freedom of movement to find that spot where it all comes together for you. Cause this shot is working for me!
    tom wise
    edited September 29, 2009
    Just to put a button on this....

Yesterday, we did another short session so I could try to implement some of the suggestions made. Sadly, hubby was distracted and preoccupied which I think shows in these, but lightingwise - any better? So far everybody prefers the moodaaayyyy one (#1 in this thread), but I would like to figure out a lighting strategy for my living room so that when I have to use it for other people I have some clue what I"m doing rolleyes1.gif.

Anyway, here I used the 50mm 1.8 (ok, but I DO prefer the compression of the 100, even when it meant I was standing on the sofa to shoot lol3.gif), and I tried using a dark orange gel on the bg light. Not quite sure what cast the big shadow on the shelves, but... there we have it. Need to fix that for next time.

The BIG change, however, was in response to Nik's comment which I think should be the 3rd commandment (the first two being 1. Charge your batteries 2. Check to make sure you have your media cards): CONTROL LIGHT SPILL IN A SMALL SPACE. So.... I went back to using my little dinky soda-carton softbox for my key light. In this instance where I wanted to keep the light more on one side of the face, it worked like a charm. I was surprised, too, to see that separating the BG with its own light made it look further away, even though he was positioned at about the same distance. Cool!

So.... C&C on these two, mainly for lighting/technical matters?

665128933_uouFL-M.jpg

665128849_ngoHA-M.jpg
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    Enigmatic #3 with slight rim-light (kicker) to bring out that wonderful hair (think Albert E.). I prefer the portrait orientation, and I like the formality (I'm traditional I suppose…)

He looks like a very interesting character… thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    Told you to have a bg lioght would help:-) mwink.gif
    I like the last one. Not a 100%, but it's definitely better thumb.gif
  • OFSOFS Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    1st One
    First one ...and has anyone mentioned he looks like an older Jack Black!!!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    I like them. Especially what you did in #1 & 3. Very smart shadow play clap.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    I'm with Angie. I like #3 best so far. I actually kinda like #5 as well, but the totally dark right eye (his right) throws me off a bit.
    Thanks Wil, OFS, Angie and Ivar! Really appreciate you chiming in.

Nik, you most assuredly were right - I knew you would be, despite it feeling extremely counter-intuitive to LIGHT something that I want to recede. What's the theory/technique/logic behind that? It really does seem completely backwards to me - clearly it's effective, but I don't understand quite *why*. Thanks in advance! thumb.gif
    edited September 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Nik, you most assuredly were right - I knew you would be, despite it feeling extremely counter-intuitive to LIGHT something that I want to recede. What's the theory/technique/logic behind that? It really does seem completely backwards to me - clearly it's effective, but I don't understand quite *why*. Thanks in advance! thumb.gif
    It's hard to explain in a short post. Bottom line: having fg and bg lit by two independent light sources creates and empty (non-lit) void between them and as such creates a better visual separation compared to both (and the space in-between) being lit with the same light source. Having them on difference axis helps, too.
    edited September 30, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's hard to explain in a short post. Bottom line: having fg and bg lit by two independent light sources creates and empty (non-lit) void between them and as such creates a better visual separation compared to both (and the space in-between) being lit with the same light source. Having them on difference axis helps, too.

Thanks Nik! I couldn't manage to put the bg light on the floor the way I wanted - the STE2 couldn't see it so I was getting misfires. My solution was to put it on a stool off to the side (which may be why I got those shadows I don't like on the shelves), but yes, it certainly does seem to work! Thanks for the explanation :)