Old man in the Mall

Sc0ttySc0tty Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited September 28, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Taken yesterday at a local mall; Not sure if he knew I got him or not. I hate that piece of paper on the left of the frame but, oh well!

IMG_5597.jpg
My dA
Want to play a game?
"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." - Dali

Comments

• pgaviriapgaviria Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Hey Scotty, good shot. He looks very tired. You could always crop out the paper.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    pgaviria wrote:
    Hey Scotty, good shot. He looks very tired. You could always crop out the paper.
    15524779-Ti.gif And since that would lose the fingers
    on the right hand you might as well lose the rest of the thumb on the left haand (right edge of the image).

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    Heck, if you crop it right down, you'll have a lovely portrait of an old, tired man with a toddler in a carriage behind him. The shot doesn't work the way it is. It needs much more context.

As I typed that sarcastically, I did a quick "browser crop" and in fact the upper right quarter of the image could work to juxtapose the old-tired with the young-tired. The rest of the image is throwaway.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    I'm not getting the photo as is. I think michswiss's idea might work. Right now, you've got a man. I don't think he's that interesting just sitting there like that, and yeah, you've got a thumb hanging in there, and that paper. I didn't really notice the baby carriage until it was pointed out. I think you could definately go for the juxtaposition, but right now, its just kinda blah.

Granted, my tastes are mine, so feel free to ignore me.thumb.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    Actually, there's not just the baby carriage but somebody's butt as well. rolleyes1.gif Looks like there are a number of crop possibilities worth exploring.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    Richard wrote:
    Actually, there's not just the baby carriage but somebody's butt as well. rolleyes1.gif Looks like there are a number of crop possibilities worth exploring.
    Only, if you crop for the butt, then you have just baby crotch (not worth thinking about) or you end up cropping grandpa's head! So the top stays, or gets blurred with layers, masking and other post work. hardly worth it for a 'Street Scene'!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Only, if you crop for the butt, then you have just baby crotch (not worth thinking about) or you end up cropping grandpa's head! So the top stays, or gets blurred with layers, masking and other post work. hardly worth it for a 'Street Scene'!

Don

Don't just say it, folks, do it...rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif The one adjustment we can't make is shifting the shot somewhat to the right to get that hand dangling over the arm - which would complete the image. ah well...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    It looks as if his left eye (right side of photo) is looking right at you, and if I might continue my hallucination, I would say they he is not pleased with you pointing that piece of glass at him.rolleyes1.gif

I prefer it in b&w.