Bring on the Color: Recent Child/Baby Photoshoots

My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited September 30, 2009 in People
I had a bunch of recent child photoshoots, and decided to try something different... bright, bold, beautiful color. I've always been a little afraid to use bright colors, and I've been stuck in my safe, simple white/black background blah, blah, blah mode. I really like the colors! That's not to say I won't be using black and white backgrounds anymore, as those are great traditional (and contemporary, depending on how they are used) choices. I'm just happy to have something a little different too.

Enjoy the colors...

Comments (and criticism) always welcome... it's the best way to improve!

657319096_dxxCk-L.jpg

659228938_qYfwA-L.jpg

659231413_yuqr4-L.jpg

659230192_vtgev-L.jpg

659300691_irw3v-L.jpg

657319858_cpL6k-L.jpg

653335053_ogK4d-L-1.jpg

658467996_H2seG-L.jpg

Most of these were created for the blog, hence the storyboard feel. To see more, visit my blog at:
www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com

-Melissa
www.naturalphotography.smugmug.com

Comments

• Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2009
    Great Series. I think the bright colors worked will!
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    Love it! The colors are wonderful!!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Bingo! I agree! Bold is great! Great stuff!
    tom wise
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    OMGosh I love these! I love the colors, the kids, the clothes the shoes everything! I in fact have been trying to work more with bright colors, Lollipops (although I can't seem to find the multicolored swirl only swirly yellow ones:cry ) rainboots, and converse tennishoes. Can you help me figure out how to pp to make the colors brighter??
    Thanks
    Courtney
    Courtney
  • My3SonsMy3Sons Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    OMGosh I love these! I love the colors, the kids, the clothes the shoes everything! I in fact have been trying to work more with bright colors, Lollipops (although I can't seem to find the multicolored swirl only swirly yellow ones:cry ) rainboots, and converse tennishoes. Can you help me figure out how to pp to make the colors brighter??
    Thanks
    Courtney

Sure. I have a quick tutorial on some color pop techniques on my blog. www.naturalphotographydesign.blogspot.com

Scroll down to the bottom and click on Techniques. Then you can find the post: Color Pop with Photoshop. This should give you a start. I also like to use actions these days, since I have started shooting in Raw. I post lots of tips and techniques on my blog. You can sign up for the site feed towards the bottom of the blog if you would like to be notified of new posts. You can also leave comments and/or questions in the comment sections of the posts if you need help on anything.
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    THANK YOU for posting this! Your site is awesome and your pictures....well they are just phenominal! Makes me want to get up and move---so much energy---the essenece of childhood. WELL DONE! Keep shooting those vibrant photos! You are very very good at it :)
    Thank you so much everyone! Makes me feel more inspired.

Sometimes I wonder if even having a blog is worth the amount of time it takes, especially since people, including those who are in the portraits, rarely comment. I was honored by a recent contact from someone who has seen my posts here on Dgrin, and has been following my blog. I'm thankful for my Dgrin community. Thanks all.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    My3Sons wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if even having a blog is worth the amount of time it takes, especially since people, including those who are in the portraits, rarely comment. I was honored by a recent contact from someone who has seen my posts here on Dgrin, and has been following my blog. I'm thankful for my Dgrin community. Thanks all.

Following your blog now! Love the tips and tech's too! great photos and a Super big thanks for sharing!
    tom wise
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    great post! I absolutely adore the 2nd out takes one! Too funny!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Hey you better keep up that blog! Now that I saw it I'm hooked. MAJOR blog envy here:photo I lOVE your pictures. So inspiring! :) I have a 10 y/o, 7 y/o, 3 y/o and 8 month old so the kid pictures are very appealing to me. It takes a ton of time I know, but I bet they appreciate it more than you think. They aren't commenting because they expect that you KNOW it is good. I love working with templates myself so it gives me food for thought. THANKS!
    My3Sons wrote:

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    I think the colors worked very well! iloveyou.gif The lollipop one works very well, especially as a series. I also really like the dotted bg. I prefer it over the blue one;
    My3Sons wrote:
    659231413_yuqr4-S.jpg
    The separation between the kid and the bg seems a bit weird here especially around her head, almost like she was in front of a green-screen if you know what I mean?

The outtakes are just awesome lol3.gif
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    What are you backgrounds? sheets? paper? It seems as though the pictures are all in the same location but the backgrounds are changedne_nau.gif I love the polkadotted one.. well actually I love them all :D oh and thanks for the link to your website and the help on color pop!! I'm going to try it out and follow you!
    Courtney
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    I love the bright colours, but I'd be wary lest they take away from the skin tones of the kids. Also I don't know for how long I could live with them; I'm reminded of the Paul Desmond¹ quote about Ornette Coleman's² playing: "It's like living in a house where everything's painted red."

mwink.gif

- Wil

¹ Alto saxophone player, composer of "Take Five"
    ² One of the major innovators of the "Free Jazz" movement of the 1960s
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Love the colors clap.gif ... (but the skin colors in 2 & 3 look off to me) ne_nau.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I love the bright colours, but I'd be wary lest they take away from the skin tones of the kids. Also I don't know for how long I could live with them; I'm reminded of the Paul Desmond¹ quote about Ornette Coleman's² playing: "It's like living in a house where everything's painted red."

mwink.gif

Sorry, didn't get to read this comment until now, and I actually agree. Less is more. So if you have a super bright & colorful background I'd choose some calmer clothes .... otherwise it will get too busy and one will get lost in the pic / all the different patterns + it will look ages in a couple of years. thumb.gif
    edited September 30, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    I think the colors worked very well! iloveyou.gif The lollipop one works very well, especially as a series. I also really like the dotted bg. I prefer it over the blue one; The separation between the kid and the bg seems a bit weird here especially around her head, almost like she was in front of a green-screen if you know what I mean?

The outtakes are just awesome lol3.gif

I think you're right on the one with this background. It is the same blue paper, but with a texture added in pp. I think I need to darken it, and do a little more retouching around her head, especially in the one on the left. Hopefully that will help. I love the damask pattern, but I'm not sure if I can really pull it off. I'll keep working on it.
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Love the colors clap.gif ... (but the skin colors in 2 & 3 look off to me) ne_nau.gif

2 and 3 look good on my monitor, I was actually wondering about the last one. Does baby have some purple hues in the shadows?
    What are you backgrounds? sheets? paper? It seems as though the pictures are all in the same location but the backgrounds are changedne_nau.gif I love the polkadotted one.. well actually I love them all :D oh and thanks for the link to your website and the help on color pop!! I'm going to try it out and follow you!

These were all on-location shoots, so they were done at different houses. The polka-dots is a blanket. The aqua is paper. Glad to hear your gonna try the color pop. The main thing is to play with the curves and levels in Photoshop. Then you can adjust the hue/saturation as well. Playing with selective color is fun too. Adding a touch of black can really help a picture pop as well. Have fun!