Options

One from the Street

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited September 30, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Heya folks. I haven't been very active on here lately so I wanted to make sure and bring some support to the new street forum. Thank you very much, evil overlords, for setting up the new forum! :thumb

This image isn't as contrast-ific as I'd like but I hope it has legs enough for at least a little discussion. Enjoy!

3960784534_5c07d71e6a_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Travis

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited September 28, 2009
    OK, Travis, I'll bite...so what are they all looking at? headscratch.gif:D
  • Options
    Richard wrote:
    OK, Travis, I'll bite...so what are they all looking at? headscratch.gif:D
    They are all watching a parade but that really wasn't the point. mwink.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    Highlights in the wall slightly blown out (I'd like a teeny bit more texture); a bit more contrast would also be welcome. As is, it almost looks like the chap phoning his order into Dunkin-Donuts has been isolated and dropped in as a composite…

I like the differential focus thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: Just noticed: Man, look at those tattoos! My next shot would have been (using the same aperture) to refocus on the chap with the body art!
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Highlights in the wall slightly blown out (I'd like a teeny bit more texture); a bit more contrast would also be welcome. As is, it almost looks like the chap phoning his order into Dunkin-Donuts has been isolated and dropped in as a composite…

I like the differential focus thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: Just noticed: Man, look at those tattoos! My next shot would have been (using the same aperture) to refocus on the chap with the body art!
    Thanks, Wil. I appreciate the comments. I've been in a real slump lately with the street shots so I was prepared for a beating with this one. I just figured I should get back on the horse. :D I was really trying to get the tattoo'd gents dog in the frame, too, but the bright light of the scene just wouldn't allow my skills to capture it all in a comfortable way.
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks, Wil. I appreciate the comments. I've been in a real slump lately with the street shots so I was prepared for a beating with this one. I just figured I should get back on the horse. :D I was really trying to get the tattoo'd gents dog in the frame, too, but the bright light of the scene just wouldn't allow my skills to capture it all in a comfortable way.

This is an interesting image, Travis, precisely because we want to know what's going on. Has there been an accident? A bank robbery? A parade? Or is the donut delivery late? We just don't know. An earth shaker? No, but a good, respectable image. And this may make it a bit stronger....
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    This is an interesting image, Travis, precisely because we want to know what's going on. Has there been an accident? A bank robbery? A parade? Or is the donut delivery late? We just don't know. An earth shaker? No, but a good, respectable image. And this may make it a bit stronger....
    Thank you for the comments, B.D., and thank you for the edit. I have had a heck-of-a-time getting the contrast right on this photo without losing highs and lows where I didn't want to. Your edit does help a lot. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    thoth wrote:
    Thank you for the comments, B.D., and thank you for the edit. I have had a heck-of-a-time getting the contrast right on this photo without losing highs and lows where I didn't want to. Your edit does help a lot. thumb.gif

Layer: New Adjustment Layer: Levels: Screen
    Layer: New Adjustment Layer: Levels: Multiply

:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    You are the man. I'll play around with that and see if I can duplicate it. thumb.gif
    Travis