Street Portraits at Santa Monica Pier

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited September 29, 2009 in People
I don't photograph people much, so to push my boundaries, I decided to basically stand on a street and if I see an interesting person walking by, ask them to pose for a portrait.

The whole process probably takes about 2-3 minutes. The challenge for me is to get them to agree and get a workable shot in about a minute with maybe 1-3 shots. So some shots are not technically perfect but half the kick for me is to get a stranger walking by to stop and let me get close and take a couple of photos. All shot with a Canon 50mm f1.8.

1. Happy Lady.
663200059_WKbdf-M.jpg

2. Reminded me of Audrey Hepburn.
663197509_BFw8V-M.jpg

3. Tatoos.
663195006_uxoL8-M.jpg

4. Englishman.
663209810_ULLMF-M.jpg
5. RayBan's
663226563_cyMXM-M.jpg

6. Flower Child.
663235718_57Ur2-M.jpg

Entire Gallery

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    What fun way to interact with people. I'm curious, what percentage of the people you approached agreed to the "portrait session"?

1, 2, 4 top my list!
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    I think I asked about over 20 and 2 declined. Rest said it was ok.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Oh man, that is a great idea! Crazy and great.
    I hope you don't mind, I will try it out myself--must get past my self-consciousness in shooting people I don't know.

Tattoo guy is my favorite shot--the direct stare complete with smirk and I like the PP as well.thumb.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Thanks,
    This is hardly my idea as it's been done by many before.

I initially didn't like the tatoo guy shot but soon as I saw it, I thought it should be in that HDR like high contrast style that is currently popular. I'm not a fan of it but I think it works in this case (hence I didn't go overboard with the contrast).

In retrospect, it's actually my favorite shot from the day.