photo shop

travcattravcat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 5, 2005 in Finishing School
Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the right spot to post this question. What is a good version of Photoshop (or another similiar brand) that you guys would recommend (but not one that would cost a fortune)?
Thanks!

Catherine :):

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    I am a Paint Shop Pro user, and would recommend it as a reasonably priced alternative to PS Elements. It has an amazing amount of tools and I haven't found it lacking at all.

It is now a Corel product, but I am sure there will be a free downloadable trila version available somewhere.

ann

travcat wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the right spot to post this question. What is a good version of Photoshop (or another similiar brand) that you guys would recommend (but not one that would cost a fortune)?
    Thanks!

Catherine :):
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    I use PhotoShop Elements 3. It's a nice package that gives you the basics of CS without the huge price tag of CS. I paid right around $100 for it. It is alot better than some others that I've tried, PictureIt!..Paintshop...etc, not that those are bad programs I just prefer PSE3 of those that I have tried. There are also some great books that help you learn how to use it. I have two books by Scott Kelby, one is The PSE3 book for digital photographers and the other is PSE3 Down and Dirty tricks, they have helped me greatly in learning how to use PSE3. I still have alot to learn but the books have made it alot easier so far.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    I've only ever tried the full Photoshop. Can't reasonably compare it to Paint Shop Pro. But everything I've read about the Elements upgrades raves about the product. And you can't beat the price.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    I'm a die-hard Photoshop CS2 user. I love all the new stuff, Smart Sharpen, new Camera Raw, Bridge, Lens Correction, Reduce Noise, etc. not because they are cool but because they have saved me a ton of time, a value in excess of the cost of the software. I wouldn't go back to an earlier version. But, it takes a very long time to figure this all out and I can't even say I have it all figured out yet!

I have also checked out Photoshop Elements 3, and I think it's far more than most people need. If you haven't used any Photoshop, there's nothing wrong with starting with Elements 3, learning all you can for less than $100, and using the upgrade deal to get to the full Photoshop only if one day you think you've hit the limits of Elements and want to go on to advanced features. Elements certainly has everything you need to get your work ready for smugmug. One important thing about Elements is that it has multiple interfaces. You can switch from the "training wheels" interface to the "real Photoshop" interface when you want to get ready for a transition to the expensive version. Whichever interface you use, the machinery is the same as the full Photoshop, just with fewer features.

Do you need to hand images off to commercial clients like magazines or anyone wanting CMYK images? CMYK is a niche, but it's one of those big niches where if you need it, you need it. Elements doesn't do CMYK and it would be a reason to get the full Photoshop.

While I like Photoshop, I think Paint Shop Pro has a free trial and you should check that out too, just to see if it fits how you work.