Shooting me in a barrel

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited September 28, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Thought I'd share a the first shots taken with my new UW housing and rig. These aren't up for real critique; I know they aren't great. But of course, feel free to comment.

I got my rig to Thailand with no difficulties. The setup of this thing takes me a bit of time. Three O-rings must be greased, the camera must be inserted, the housing must be assembled, etc.

For the first dive I did not attach the strobes, and in fact, I had a head cold and was unable to descend below 5 meters, and just getting that deep took most of the dive. I swam above the other two divers for the most part. Luckily, the site wasn't too deep. I'd have rather shot little Goby fish, which share a hole in the sand with a shrimp or crab, but I didn't have the right lens, nor was I able to get to the bottom anyway.

But I digress.

The first shot taken underwater. A barrel of freshwater on the boat used for rinsing gear. No leaks were found so I figureed I could take it into the ocean.
_3039633.jpg

I would have liked to get a slightly diffferent angle of this brain corral, but due to my ears, I had to content myself with just blasting away as I swam by. In Lightroom, I did some adjustments (white balance, etc)
_3039668.jpg

Both shots taken with a D300 and the Sigma 10-20.

For my next dive, I'd like to try taking either the 35mm or the 50mm lenses down, and shoot a Goby fish. Might even bring one of the strobes along to play with those.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    I like your first photo -- neat how you did that one thumb.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    A geared up and not feeling well. Thats a shame.
    Looks like you still got neat pics irregardless of what your head must
    have been going through. Like the result with the play in 1. COOL.
    And the wide with the 10-20 is a nice grab overall. Must be a near lighting
    nightmare photographing underwater.
    Appreciate seeing part of your effort. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Michael
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    DaddyO wrote:
    A geared up and not feeling well. Thats a same.
    Looks like you still got neat pics irregardless of what your head must
    have been going through. Like the result with the play in 1. COOL.
    And the wide with the 10-20 is a nice grab overall. Must be a near lighting
    nightmare photographing underwater.
    Appreciate seeing part of your effort. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Well, we will have to see about lighting in deeper water, but actually, there's a lot more light than I expected. Note the noise in the first photo, when I had the ISO turned up to 1600. Underwater, I realized that I was getting insanely fast shutter speeds, so I dialed it back to ISO 400.

I think the strobes, though they will really help with color, will introduce the nightmare, as they'll light up all the garbage in the water. Its not that clear.

Thanks for the comments!
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    So true on the strobes. Practically every little speck is going to give you grief.
    400 asa is a nice spot if you can get a good shutter speed with app.
    Michael