Print sizing question.

Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
edited October 5, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So I have my universal pricing set up to cover every single size. The problem I have now, which hopefully there's a cure for this, is that when I want to enable sales on a gallery I have to go in and customize the sizes to that it doesn't offer photo sizes at crops that don't work with that particular photo.

What I'm thinking I have to do is set universal pricing for my standard crop size and go in and offer custom pricing for galleries with sizes that differ. Also, what about galleries that contain photos with different aspect ratios. Say there's a gallery with a 1:1 photo, a 3:2 photo, and a 4:3 photo; how do you handle pricing so that a person can not order an aspect ration that doesn't fit that photo? Do you have to proof every single gallery like that, or is there a way to set pricing by individual photos?
On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.

Comments

• JP55JP55 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Kind of new to it myself, but I thought I saw a way to apply universal pricing to everything and then have the ability to set Gallery pricing. If you use the Portfolio tab when setting pricing, that should apply to all galleries. If you then use the Gallery tab, you should be able to set prices per gallery, or in some cases per picture in the pricing screen.
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    JP55 wrote:
    Kind of new to it myself, but I thought I saw a way to apply universal pricing to everything and then have the ability to set Gallery pricing. If you use the Portfolio tab when setting pricing, that should apply to all galleries. If you then use the Gallery tab, you should be able to set prices per gallery, or in some cases per picture in the pricing screen.

I know about the portfolio and pricing, I didn't know if there was a per picture pricing. I'm going to go look now.

I don't want to have to add a different size to the pricing of the gallery that's not in the correct aspect ratio for all of the photos and have a client accidentally order one of those.
  • phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I know about the portfolio and pricing, I didn't know if there was a per picture pricing. I'm going to go look now.

I don't want to have to add a different size to the pricing of the gallery that's not in the correct aspect ratio for all of the photos and have a client accidentally order one of those.

I generally recommend not worrying about conforming your images to a particular print size because it is not possible to have it be perfect for all, unless you choose not to sell print sizes that don't conform to the image. Instead, your customer can use our crop tool during checkout. You can also use proof delay (which we highly recommend) and adjust the crop to your liking before sending the order to the print lab.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    I generally recommend not worrying about conforming your images to a particular print size because it is not possible to have it be perfect for all, unless you choose not to sell print sizes that don't conform to the image. Instead, your customer can use our crop tool during checkout. You can also use proof delay (which we highly recommend) and adjust the crop to your liking before sending the order to the print lab.

I guess I should order some photos from myself. So if the crop doesn't fit in the ordereded constraints, they have to use the crop tool to make it fit? I'm going to purchase a photo or two to try this out.

Sorry, but I use a mix of Smugmug and WHCC to order prints.
  • phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    I guess I should order some photos from myself. So if the crop doesn't fit in the ordereded constraints, they have to use the crop tool to make it fit? I'm going to purchase a photo or two to try this out.

Sorry, but I use a mix of Smugmug and WHCC to order prints.

If they do nothing the crop will be a centered crop of the image, which most times actually works fine. They also have the choice of choosing 'no crop' which will not crop the image at all, but will put 2 white borders on the sides of the print. Or, they may use the crop tool to crop the image in any way they would like.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Say there's a gallery with a 1:1 photo, a 3:2 photo, and a 4:3 photo; how do you handle pricing so that a person can not order an aspect ration that doesn't fit that photo?
    If I understand what you are saying, you simply put a zero in the price for the sizes you do not want to offer for a particular photo and it won't be a size for the buyer to pick from. Try it out and see for yourself.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.