What to SAY to HS Seniors?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited September 28, 2009 in People
I know the general advice... get them to come out of their shell and interact with you, ask them what they like to do for fun, what interests them at school, where they want to go to college, etc.

But I'd like to hear some specific, practical examples. Jokes, one liners, witty things to say to break an awkward silence or keep the flow going, how exactly to tell them that they look nice or even sexy, whatever clever banter you've found keeps the smiles coming and the poses relaxed.

I've done a handful of senior portraits before, and this is one area where I don't feel like I have much natural ability. I happen to be shooting a girl today, but hopefully this will lead to some referrals. Would love some tips. Thanks!
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    I don't have any specific one liners or witty comments, but I always encourage seniors to bring along a friend or two. Friends can help break the ice. Sometimes being able to joke around or talk with their friends will help them open up and make them feel less pressure.

I also never do a senior session without the parent present. Parents can help keep a conversation going and set their child at ease too... but friends are the absolute best for this.

Good luck tonight!
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    kdspencer wrote:
    I don't have any specific one liners or witty comments, but I always encourage seniors to bring along a friend or two. Friends can help break the ice. Sometimes being able to joke around or talk with their friends will help them open up and make them feel less pressure.

I also never do a senior session without the parent present. Parents can help keep a conversation going and set their child at ease too... but friends are the absolute best for this.

Good luck tonight!
    15524779-Ti.gif I'd definately bring along a parent and a friend. I don't think i'd do any one liners or jokes - you might sound a bit like a dork if they aren't funny rolleyes1.gif
    Courtney
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    Try texting them...
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    DEFINITELY have a friend or two there. But keep the parents away. Teenagers DO NOT act like 'themselves' in front of their parents. I also don't have any 'oneliners' etc, but I don't find I have a tough time talking to seniors.. maybe because I'm only going on four years older than them lol
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe