Options

Off Roosevelt Ave in NYC

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited September 28, 2009 in Street and Documentary
First---yeay for this new Forum!

About 2 months ago I tried my hand at PJ--went out with the intent of getting street shots--I was very nervous. So like a dork I stood around with my camera looking for "subjects", but unable to will myself to start snapping, when a friendly Sikh stopped infront of me and said "take my picture"--and so I did--wish it was always this easy. Even with a willing subject I was all thumbs.

613562356_pytac-L-1.jpg

I took this shot from across the street--it just seems so bleak and dreary even thought it was a bright day--yet those kids seem to be enjoying themselves.
613537657_Z3UX4-L.jpg

I've posted this one before because it cracks me up--what a hoot these guys were--it also serves to point out that this is my comfort zone, shots taken from the back--I know--I'm chicken--hoping to get less self-concious about it.
I can't tell you how often people stop to say "take my picture" and I freeze.

613556543_KixhJ-L-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    First---yeay for this new Forum!

About 2 months ago I tried my hand at PJ--went out with the intent of getting street shots--I was very nervous. So like a dork I stood around with my camera looking for "subjects", but unable to will myself to start snapping, when a friendly Sikh stopped infront of me and said "take my picture"--and so I did--wish it was always this easy. Even with a willing subject I was all thumbs.

613562356_pytac-L-1.jpg

I took this shot from across the street--it just seems so bleak and dreary even thought it was a bright day--yet those kids seem to be enjoying themselves.
    613537657_Z3UX4-L.jpg

I've posted this one before because it cracks me up--what a hoot these guys were--it also serves to point out that this is my comfort zone, shots taken from the back--I know--I'm chicken--hoping to get less self-concious about it.
    I can't tell you how often people stop to say "take my picture" and I freeze.

613556543_KixhJ-L-1.jpg

First one is - a guy wanting his picture taken and taken with odd exposure;
    Second looks like a situation that might have been worth working, but in this one snap doesn't- the kids are too far off, and too underexposed for us to really know what's going on -
    And the third also looks like it had terrific possibilities, but looks like a 'drive by' snap, rather than something you worked to really show us what's going on here...ne_nau.gif

But keep doing this, because two and three certainly show that you are seeing things, and that is 80% of the battle...

As to PJ - Photo Journalism - and Street Photography....I'm not going to get into the
    "what is street photography" thing again, but simply point out that while photo journalists some times produce what would be called street photography, street photography is generally not photo journalism. Photo journalism is doing the photographic equivalent of reporting, but reporting with a camera. Photo journalists shoot illustrative photos and portraits to accompany written stories; they produce photo stories that sometimes stand alone; they take one-off shots that sometimes stand alone in the paper and magazine. But no matter what, they are journalists.

I'm not looking to start a debate here - and I hope this forum is, when all is said and done, open to pretty much any and all candid photography. But I've noticed there seems to be some confusion about PJ. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Well you nailed it--"drive by snapping" is what I do. I really hate the clammy feeling I get when I want to photograph someone or a shot I like, but I'm nervous about their reaction, so I rarely take the time to set up, I barely slow my walk. I had one really bad reaction which left a bad taste in my mouth.

Glad to know that at least I have an eye for shots, hoping the talent will soon follow and the nerves will ease.

Or maybe I'll go have a drink with the "need a drink-honestly" guy before I go out shooting again.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Well you nailed it--"drive by snapping" is what I do. I really hate the clammy feeling I get when I want to photograph someone or a shot I like, but I'm nervous about their reaction, so I rarely take the time to set up, I barely slow my walk. I had one really bad reaction which left a bad taste in my mouth.

Glad to know that at least I have an eye for shots, hoping the talent will soon follow and the nerves will ease.

Or maybe I'll go have a drink with the "need a drink-honestly" guy before I go out shooting again.

Your other work certainly shows you have the talent - clap.gifclap.gif - you just have to push yourself to get through the clammy feeling. It's tough to do, but worth doing. wings.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed