chaseing the light day 3

boneywhitefootboneywhitefoot Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited September 28, 2009 in Landscapes
Some folks have enjoyed my post on our latest tour of the central South Island of New Zealand so here we go with day 3.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Ive been a bit slow getting these up cause Ive been working on our new lightchasers-nz.com website.<o:p></o:p>
what a kafuffle getting it sorted, still its been fun and it will continue to evolve as we come up with better ideas.<o:p></o:p>
any got ideas please feel free to email us with them.<o:p></o:p>
Anyway I hope you enjoy day 3 and thanks for the very kind comments so far.<o:p></o:p>

late arvo on the second day we made Arrowtown the little sister town to Queenstown.<o:p></o:p>
Hemmed in on all sides by fantastic scenery, Queenstown and its surrounds are a joy to shoot.<o:p></o:p>
We booked into a backpackers and we just had time to set up for a night shoot in a spot we knew above Arrowtown so we raced up the hill behind Arrowtown for the evening.<o:p></o:p>
With a hazy sky, visibility wasn't the best but hey, we make the most of what we get. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
We just had time to set up for a night shoot in a spot we knew above Arrowtown <o:p></o:p>
Horses.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Being Saturday night we hit one of the many pubs for a meal, a game of pool and met some of the friendly locals.<o:p></o:p>
Day three duly arrived on time and we bid farewell to the pretty girl managing the backpackers and up the road we did go.<o:p></o:p>
Lake Moke was our first point of great interest, ice covered the road and going steeply downhill towards the basin we were slipping and sliding from side to side, we make our way into the valley floor. Alas the cloud obscured any great vistas, but we being sharp of eye, we saw a few possibilities to shoot a smaller lake further back up the valley we had passed on the way in, so we sped back chasing the light and we really enjoyed ourselves on the smaller lake of unknown name.<o:p></o:p>
The smaller lake was more interesting<o:p></o:p>
Horses-2-2.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Horses-4-3.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Stephen shoots an old fence.<o:p></o:p>
stephen.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Stephen out on the ice<o:p></o:p>
_MG_0079-Edit-1.jpg<o:p></o:p>
The sun was much kinder to us now and after our little lake shoot we zoomed back to the main road and headed towards Glenorchy and Paradise Valley, our stop over for the next few days.<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy has it all in spades, situated at the southern end of Lake Wakatipu, surrounded by high snow capped mountains, again snap frozen in the middle of winter with crystal clear blue skies, we sat at the jetty for an hour in the warm sun just getting our heads around it all and adjusting to the fact that we didn't have to hit the road for a few days and we could just take our time and ......well, just take our time. <o:p></o:p>
Booked in to the backpackers behind the local pub had our accommodation sorted and off up the road to Paradise valley we went, stopping almost insanely too often to look at and shoot this and that. <o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy would have to be the horse capital of New Zealand, everywhere you looked horses filled the paddocks instead of sheep. Horse treks seem to be a major income around these parts going by the mount of signs we saw along the road. <o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy horses<o:p></o:p>
Horses-3.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-28.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Next morning I stayed at the jetty to shoot sunrise while Stephen went back up Paradise chasing the light.<o:p></o:p>
It was freezing and the sun was just about to rise as I walked through the small town to the jetty at the end of the road.<o:p></o:p>
The main street of Glenorchy before the sunrise<o:p></o:p>
Horses-4.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Making my way down the main street I came across a couple of lovely ladies, one of whom owns the eatery behind her in the photo. Her and her friend start every day off before day light with a coffee outside her cafe.<o:p></o:p>
Enjoying an early morning Coffee<o:p></o:p>
Horses-5.jpg <o:p></o:p>
The jetty just on sunrise<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-16.jpg<o:p></o:p>
From the other side<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy.jpg<o:p></o:p>
And up the middle. ha ha haa <o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-2.jpg<o:p></o:p>
I went for a wee looksee in the adjacent wetland area to shoot some bird life, alas most of the water surface was frozen and the birds were on the open water out in the middle, out of range.<o:p></o:p>
I did find some swans up close and to my amazement they had ice on their backs.<o:p></o:p>
Icy swans<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-14.jpg<o:p></o:p>
I love seats and shoot them whenever I come across an interesting one, one day I hope to publish a book on seats.<o:p></o:p>
This is one that will go that book<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-11.jpg<o:p></o:p>
I also keep my eye out for old wreaks and such<o:p></o:p>
Here is a such<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-8.jpg<o:p></o:p>
More of the wetland.<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-10.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Overlooking the wetlands later in the day<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-7.jpg<o:p></o:p>
That night we stayed close to the jetty and shot sunset.<o:p></o:p>
The jetty really is a cool place and attracts fellow photographers,we met a few budding photographers who were well pleased with their efforts.<o:p></o:p>
This man is more than pleased with his snap<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-4.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-5.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-3.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Next morning we hung around the jetty for sunrise trying out some new ideas on how to shoot the jetty and then we were off up Paradise to check out some spots we wanted to scope out.<o:p></o:p>
The Jetty and surounds.<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-21.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-19.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Some bird shots from that morning.<o:p></o:p>
The Routeburn track and Twin Barrel falls beckoned us and we spent a few pleasant hours exploring the place .<o:p></o:p>
A bush robin gave us the pleasure of a friendly visit, at one stage it flew inside the cab of the snot.<o:p></o:p>
Having superb taste it liked the 5dmrk11<o:p></o:p>
Some bird shots from that morning<o:p></o:p>
Having superb taste the Robin liked the 5Dmrk11 (big roll eyes) sorry can't help myself<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-26.jpg<o:p></o:p>
Glenorchy-25.jpg<o:p></o:p>
the day was very pleasant but wasn't going to last any longer than the day before, so we had to get outa there and head for new grounds, so much to see so little time.<o:p></o:p>
heading for the Lindis pass tomorrows another day.<o:p></o:p>
God made two great lights; the sun to rule by day and the moon to rule by night. He also made the stars.
And He set them all in the heavens to give light upon the earth; And God saw that it was good.

Ive seen the light and it is indeed very good

http://www.lightchasers-nz.com/