pocket digicam with HD video

kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited October 7, 2009 in Cameras
can anyone recommend a pocket digicam that can record HD video. i have a Lumix TZ5 but it's too bulky to fit in my pocket.

thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 28, 2009
    Ultra Compact
    720P, 30fps
    Panasonic FX37
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    excellent. that looks great. thanks!
    edited October 2, 2009
    how does Lumix FX37 compare to Powershot SD970? what about FX580?
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Be aware that the Lumix will only film maximum 8 minute clips. I'd be all over this (I think) if not for that limitation.
    edited October 6, 2009
    after considering my needs, I think I am also looking for good audio. the digicams that I have are more or less useless in the audio section when used in loud environments like concerts. what digicams would you recommend that can record good audio at a concert?
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    There's a good multi camera review of the Panny alongside the Canon and a range of others here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408slimgroup/
  • RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Be aware that the Lumix will only film maximum 8 minute clips. I'd be all over this (I think) if not for that limitation.
    To each his own, but I can't imagine a home-made movie clip I'd want to watch for more than 8 minutes, personally. There comes a time in every "movie" where one scene must end and another scene must start, rarely should you come close to 8 minutes. Watch anything on TV, and count down the time before a particular shot ends and another one begins. I doubt very much you'll see one much over 1 minute.
    edited October 6, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:
    To each his own, but I can't imagine a home-made movie clip I'd want to watch for more than 8 minutes, personally. There comes a time in every "movie" where one scene must end and another scene must start, rarely should you come close to 8 minutes. Watch anything on TV, and count down the time before a particular shot ends and another one begins. I doubt very much you'll see one much over 1 minute.

i agree. im not concerned with that length. im a lot more concerned about audio quality. im having an extremely hard time finding any reliable resource that reviews audio quality on digicams reliably.
    edited October 6, 2009
    kevinpw wrote:
    i agree. im not concerned with that length. im a lot more concerned about audio quality. im having an extremely hard time finding any reliable resource that reviews audio quality on digicams reliably.

I know you said the TZ5 was too big... but but the doesn't the TZ7 have dolby stereo? And it is a little slimmer than the TZ5...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 6, 2009
    Most camcorders, regardless of cost, would be similarly incapable of handling the sound pressure levels. To do this properly will take a specialized microphone at very least. Any wind and you will also have to have a wind sock or wind muff, or both, in order to prevent wind noise.

Competent audio will not be easy to attain. It may get very expensive too.

Them's the breaks.

Here are some links to the "proper" way to record audio:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4505538_record-rock-concert.html
    http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/video/articles/5375.aspx
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 6, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    I know you said the TZ5 was too big... but but the doesn't the TZ7 have dolby stereo? And it is a little slimmer than the TZ5...

you're correct! the specs for ZS3 / TZ7 does say Stereo microphone. and it is slightly slimmer than the TZ5. the TZ5 specs does not say stereo, so i assume its mono?
    edited October 6, 2009
    kevinpw wrote:
    you're correct! the specs for ZS3 / TZ7 does say Stereo microphone. and it is slightly slimmer than the TZ5. the TZ5 specs does not say stereo, so i assume its mono?

I can't believe how much I screwed up my post - anyone would think I can't speak English!!

My girlfriend has the TZ5 - yep, it does record in mono.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:

Indeed, to each his own. I do understand the way TV and movies are made. I'm not making a TV show or professional produced movie, I'm making a home video. When young children are involved (in my experience) you can't take the camera off of them for a second. You'll get hours and hours of boring, useless stuff with 5 minutes of randomly scattered "keeper time" throughout. I likely wouldn't want to watch 8+ minutes straight for sure (unless it was a school play, long band/concert piece or similar to send to grandma) but I want to make those decisions in post-production. I wouldn't want to have to remember to press stop and then record again every 8 minutes while I'm filming my kids.
  • CrossbarphotoCrossbarphoto Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Robinivich wrote:

+1 I think 8 minutes is PLENTY long! If you edit clips in any sort of NLE, you'll be glad your clips are less than 8 minutes.
  • Wes WeberWes Weber Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    The camera I'm looking at right now is the Panasonic DMC-TS1. It got a good review on dpreview, and appears to have stereo audio. Plus, it's shock and water resistant. Seems pretty neat, but I can't find one locally to look at. Here's a link:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

Wes