Options

Cheerleaders

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited September 29, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I knew that title would get you in here... :D Enjoy!

3964461482_94ae36f2fe_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Travis

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Great picture! Nice centre of focus, but I think I'd have sliced a bit more off the left, bringing the eye more to the left, balancing the open space on the right… thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Great picture! Nice centre of focus, but I think I'd have sliced a bit more off the left, bringing the eye more to the left, balancing the open space on the right… thumb.gif

- Wil
    Thanks for the comment, Wil. There's actually a face there on the left that I was attempting to preserve but I think maybe it's bokeh'd to oblivion. I kept wanting to save it because I know it's there. :D
    Travis
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited September 29, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks for the comment, Wil. There's actually a face there on the left that I was attempting to preserve but I think maybe it's bokeh'd to oblivion. I kept wanting to save it because I know it's there. :D

I think I see it, but I wouldn't have noticed without your comment. In any event, I would think that cropping from the left would make the empty space at the right even more prominent. Not sure that's going to improve things. I really like the selective focus and think the composition works pretty well as is.
  • Options
    Richard wrote:
    I think I see it, but I wouldn't have noticed without your comment. In any event, I would think that cropping from the left would make the empty space at the right even more prominent. Not sure that's going to improve things. I really like the selective focus and think the composition works pretty well as is.
    Thanks, Richard. I've tried a few other crops and, though I could maybe darken the girls in the foreground a bit, I also don't think I can improve much on the composition. I appreciate the feedback. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    RicherSeaRicherSea Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    Really nice image. I don't think the face on the left is worth preserving, I'd opt for a much tighter crop on both sides.
  • Options
    RicherSea wrote:
    Really nice image. I don't think the face on the left is north preserving m I'd opt for a much tighter cup on both sides.
    Thanks for the comment, Andy.

Any of you folks that have a vision are more than welcome to show me what you have in mind. Sometimes we get tunnel-vision when we're working with shots and it helps to see another's take on the subject. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    RicherSeaRicherSea Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    Don't know if the original will support this small a crop but...

664879292_ry9CL-L.jpg
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    RicherSea wrote:

664879292_ry9CL-L.jpg

I like this crop, but I also like the original, full frame image. In the original I like the balance of the out-of-focus blob of blondness rolleyes1.gif on the left, with the dark-haired cheerleaders. And I like the empty space on the right. The one thing I wish this had, that you can't do anything about now, is the right eye of the central figure.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RicherSea wrote:
    Thank you for the example, Andy. Your crop does work well and I think the original could handle it pretty well.
    bdcolen wrote:
    I like this crop, but I also like the original, full frame image. In the original I like the balance of the out-of-focus blob of blondness rolleyes1.gif on the left, with the dark-haired cheerleaders. And I like the empty space on the right. The one thing I wish this had, that you can't do anything about now, is the right eye of the central figure.mwink.gif
    Thanks, B.D. I've always been rather fond of blonde blobs as well. mwink.gif

Not to put any of you off of your original take on the image but doesn't anyone else think the young lady leaning over in the back might be having some issues with her lunch? :D
    Travis