Options

Looking to avoid cliche Fall photos in Vt

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited September 29, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
I was originally going to go to Maine for Fall Foliage photo taking expedition. After thinking it over a bit, I think I will go to Vermont, near Killington along Rt 100. There are lots of waterfalls in the Green Mountains National forest. Plus there are a lot less pine trees (more pines=less color) in Vermont and this is not the case for Maine.

Thinking of getting up there on Sunday Oct 4th and stay for 3+ days in the area? Is that too early or late? Can you think of any interesting spots in the area besides the usual rustic looking farm? Anything decrepit or decaying. Either abandoned homes, mills, factories etc.

Any tips?
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Funny you mention it I was also planning on travling to the VT-NY-PN area for fall colors but I was going around Oct 19-25 which is apparently to late for that area. After putting in a good bit of research the area that you (and I) want to travel through is best in late Sept and early Oct. This page on about.com was really helpful:

http://gonewengland.about.com/cs/fallfoliage/l/blfoliagecentrl.htm

Gave links to heatmaps on when the color will be best. I'm really interested in anything you find as I'll be going next year for a week (instead of this year) since I'd like to aim for going for a week that covers the end of Sept and start of Oct. And I'm looking for the same stuff you are, check out the Covered Bridges
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    ochongochong Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    net1994 wrote:
    Thinking of getting up there on Sunday Oct 4th and stay for 3+ days in the area? Is that too early or late? Can you think of any interesting spots in the area besides the usual rustic looking farm? Anything decrepit or decaying. Either abandoned homes, mills, factories etc.

Any tips?

I think that will be excellent timing. I believe things are changing a bit faster this year due to the cooler and wetter summer (i think we had one). Unfortunately, I can't really recommend any particular locations for shooting, but I was in the Killington area about 2 months ago camping and hiking with friends and I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery even with it all green. I'm from MA myself and the foliage is getting going, especially near water sources.

I don't know where you will be coming from, but I think taking Rt 4 from 89, taking a quick stop at Quechee Gorge, and then continuing to where you will be staying isn't a bad idea. Also, when we continued north from staying at Gifford Woods State Park, we took 100 north over to 107 following the river. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the opportunities were for stopping your vehicle and getting down to the river bed or around on foot.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.
    http://www.bitartifact.com/
    Canon 7D & 350D
    10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 ~ 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II ~ 50mm f/1.8 II ~ 85mm f/1.8 ~ 100mm f/2.8 ~ 70-200mm f/4 IS L