"Beyond Economical Repair"

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited September 29, 2009 in Cameras
I yelled for help a month or so ago when I got tossed in a rogue Hurricane Bill wave, while holding my D90 and 18-200 VR lens. They went down, albeit briefly, in the salt water.

It killed them. Sent them in to Nikon to see if they could repair them.

They returned them with nothing but the terse response of a large red stamp that said "Beyond Economical Repair."

Very sad, because it's a tough time to try and replace them (not to mention the strong urge to move up to FX).

So here's my question. What can I do with a broken camera and lens? Bookends? Any parts in there I should try and salvage? Any market for them as parts?
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    oh snap! Sorry that it could not be repaired.

You can try gutting it! Or donating it?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    Donating it where? Any ideas?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    If you are going to file an insurance claim your insurance company may need to get them as proof of the claim.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    Insurance excludes "salt water damage." Plus the deductible is about the value of the combo anyway!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    Insurance excludes "salt water damage." Plus the deductible is about the value of the combo anyway!

So, are you going to ask a price for it...them?
    tom wise
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    If the outside of the lens looks good, strip the guts, purchase an appropriate sized black plastic snap-together photo-coffee-mug (called a "snap-in" mug and available at JoAnn Fabric and Crafts Stores) and fit and glue its inner liner into the lens body, carefully cut the handle off the outer part of the mug (or fashion your own) and attach it to the outside of the lens body. Voilà ... a unique photo lens coffee mug!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    If the outside of the lens looks good, strip the guts, purchase an appropriate sized black plastic snap-together photo-coffee-mug (called a "snap-in" mug and available at JoAnn Fabric and Crafts Stores) and fit and glue its inner liner into the lens body, carefully cut the handle off the outer part of the mug (or fashion your own) and attach it to the outside of the lens body. Voilà ... a unique photo lens coffee mug!
    Someone should market those... thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    This is ironic. One of the guys on POTN did the same thing during the same hurricane with a 5D MK2. Call and bug Nikon.

Canon does a customer loyalty program where you trade in your old or junked cam and get a discount price on a refurbed camera.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    ... Call and bug Nikon.

Canon does a customer loyalty program where you trade in your old or junked cam and get a discount price on a refurbed camera.

That's a pretty good idea.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    Man, sorry to hear about the insurance company bailing on you(I'd expect that though). I would have given it a good bath to get out all the salt and told them it was just water damaged(I secretly despise insurance companies[ok, it's no secret now]).

I've been thinking of sending in the ol' 1D for a goof to see if they'd do anything like that.rolleyes1.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    Evilbay, someone might wants some parts from it. They sell them as is. Usually have 120 items that way.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com