I love cemeteries

BoutteBoutte Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited June 29, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I live in New Orleans so there a lot of great photo opportunities. But I can't stay out of the cemeteries.

IMG_4149maxunsharp.jpg

IMG_4147a.jpg

IMG_4158b.jpg

IMG_4138a.jpg

Comments

• BoutteBoutte Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Feel free to C&C.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Okay. I passed this by first time because of the subject matter. But I could see why they would draw you there for pics because you do an excellent job with them. The first is captivating -- excellent capture. Skies on the second and third really add to the composition. My take on the third is that it may be a little tilted as shown on the first mausoleum (?) on the left.

Other thing I notice is that the second and fourth composition are opposite of where I would have shot meaning I might have placed "sphinx" on right of frame and in fourth would have had first structure more to the right. Not saying that is better, just different and do not know if you shot this with intent as it does evoke a "hmmm" response from me.

Thanks for sharing.
    rainbow wrote:
    Okay. I passed this by first time because of the subject matter. But I could see why they would draw you there for pics because you do an excellent job with them. The first is captivating -- excellent capture. Skies on the second and third really add to the composition. My take on the third is that it may be a little tilted as shown on the first mausoleum (?) on the left.

Other thing I notice is that the second and fourth composition are opposite of where I would have shot meaning I might have placed "sphinx" on right of frame and in fourth would have had first structure more to the right. Not saying that is better, just different and do not know if you shot this with intent as it does evoke a "hmmm" response from me.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you.

I think you're right about the third one being tilted.

The reason the cemeteries are so different here is that you have bury people above ground because of the high water table. If you buried them in the ground the caskets would float to surface. As time went on the tombs became more and more elaborate.
    Here's another example.
    IMG_4219a.jpg
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    Boutte wrote:
    Thank you.

I think you're right about the third one being tilted.

The reason the cemeteries are so different here is that you have bury people above ground because of the high water table. If you buried them in the ground the caskets would float to surface. As time went on the tombs became more and more elaborate.

I encountered the same in Costa Rica whereby our bus guide explained the same rationale for all the tombs being raised and not buried. Thanks for this info as I love "traveling" through the posted photos here.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    When I was in New Orleans long ago I went through one of the cemeteries there. Wish I had a camera back then as the art work there is so detailed. If you can call it art work???

Thanks for posting these. I've tried to explain how the cemeteries are down there to my friends and they have a hard time understanding. So I'm going to show them these photos :D
  • alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    Nice set. I shoot in cemeteries also. There are always good shots in them.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • sixdaemonbagsixdaemonbag Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    When I was in New Orleans I loved the cemeteries. next time I go back, I'm packing the camera. Nice set.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    Very nice! thumb.gif

Now I want to shoot in one at night. ne_nau.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    I love cemetaries too! These are great. I never thought of using my WA for this purpose though. I'll have to go back! :)
    edited October 1, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Very nice! thumb.gif

Now I want to shoot in one at night. ne_nau.gif

You can't get into them at night. I faked some though.
    IMG_0118drk-1.jpg

Mortuary003a-1.jpg

darkCemetary-800.jpg
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Fascinating subject…

I like some of your compositions; not too enamoured by the weird colours, but the shapes are great!

Have you ever seen Hal Ashby's 1971 film "Harold and Maude"?

Thanks for sharing - thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Boutte -

Nice series. I like the detail shots. NO cemeteries are always fascinating and I know why you go there. I was in NO just in August for in-laws' anniversary reunion. My uncle has been there for many years too--I should really visit much more often. It is such a fascinating city! I'll look you up next time.

I don't want to "hijack" your thread, but it looks like we were in the same cemetery on the same day--those dramatic clouds made for some awesome shots. Or they would have if I'd had more than a 5-minute driveby. Here's one I processed in Topaz--not the best composition but I thought the dramatic look might work. I shot it with my 18-55 at 18mm. Now I have a Sigma 10-20 that would've made for some very interesting WA shots.

Let's see some more Crescent City shots! thumb.gif

Lauren

668467984_buqgd-M.jpg
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    I've been known to shoot in a cemetery or two :D

Lot's of interesting things there...

Great shots, thanks for posting these thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited October 3, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Boutte -

Nice series. I like the detail shots. NO cemeteries are always fascinating and I know why you go there. I was in NO just in August for in-laws' anniversary reunion. My uncle has been there for many years too--I should really visit much more often. It is such a fascinating city! I'll look you up next time.

I don't want to "hijack" your thread, but it looks like we were in the same cemetery on the same day--those dramatic clouds made for some awesome shots. Or they would have if I'd had more than a 5-minute driveby. Here's one I processed in Topaz--not the best composition but I thought the dramatic look might work. I shot it with my 18-55 at 18mm. Now I have a Sigma 10-20 that would've made for some very interesting WA shots.

Let's see some more Crescent City shots! thumb.gif

Lauren

668467984_buqgd-M.jpg
    Very nice! I love the clouds.
    edited October 4, 2009
    MillerNew-E.jpg

Of course there are other things to shoot than cemeteries.

IMG_0388a.jpg

1skyaDgrincrppd.jpg

FrQtr019sm.jpg
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Ah, yes! So much to see and shoot there!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited June 29, 2010
    OK, more cemetery pics. This one is different than the last one. From the looks of it it's been abandoned.

915184416_ettT4-L.jpg

916628321_MQcKb-L.jpg

916968143_VpAbk-L.jpg

917769551_EL6k3-L.jpg