Colorfully Noir...

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited September 29, 2009 in People
This is a self portrait I did today. I wanted to play around with some gels on my flashes, and, uh, wear a hat. Let me know what you think.

3964903652_e29e0756a9.jpg

Comments

• plumchutneyplumchutney Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    great shot - great control of the light (& shadows!), same sort of thing I am trying to get to gips with - harder than it looks! Is possible in post to try toning down the orange a little?

Pete
    Pete
    ==================
    www.plumchutney.net
    ==================
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    Cool shot. I can pick out three lights. Is that correct? Did you use snoots? Whatever you used you controlled it well. Nice sinister look.

Wes
    www.clix-photo.com
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Love the shot. Great looking subject, too! thumb.gif
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    Clixphoto wrote:
    Cool shot. I can pick out three lights. Is that correct? Did you use snoots? Whatever you used you controlled it well. Nice sinister look.

Yep, three lights. An SB600 with a full CTO gel, and two SB28's with 1/2 CTB gels for the rimlights. No snoots for this, but I had to flag the rim lights to prevent flare. The sb600 was zoomed to 85 mm to limit the spread, but I don't think it made much of a difference. I couldn't snoot it because I was using optical slaves for the rim lights and they wouldn't be able to see the flash from the 600 if I used a snoot.

The orange from the CTO was intentional, to contrast with the blue rim light, but it is a little much in retrospect. If I did it again I'd probably use a 3/4 or 1/2 CTO instead of a full cut.

Here's another one:

3965132424_c9eec5de40.jpg
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    Thanks for the tech. I'm digging how the eyes land just under the rim of the hat in the second one but I would rather see the head turned slightly as in #1.

Wes
    www.clix-photo.com
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    Very cool! thumb.gif Besides playing with the color, I think these could have potential as a b/w :hide
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    ivar wrote:
    Very cool! thumb.gif Besides playing with the color, I think these could have potential as a b/w :hide

Definitely. I played around with it, and the great thing is that because of the the color separation both parts of the image can be controlled totally independently when doing the conversion. I was really tempted to do a B&W conversion but I resisted since I set out to do color shots in the first place.