First RAW shoot...Please help me improve.

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in People
Hello folks,

Okay I did my first ever RAW shoot yesterday. Now that I've started digitally editing I think I need to move over to RAW. The shoot was in my JPEG/RAW combo mode. Burned through the card very fast though. Also I can't open the .CR2 files for some reason.. I would love some comments to help me improve.

Thanks! I love this site :)

SuitcaseWinner1.jpg

WinnerSuitcase1.jpg

WinnerSuitcase3.jpg

Suitcasewinner2_topost.jpg

#5 I put a Sepia filter on this one
Suitcase1.jpg

WinnerSuitcase4.jpg

Comments

• rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    What a precious little guy. Some excellent shots there but the focus seems off on most of them. He has gorgeous eyes and that needs to be your focal point. I know with toddlers that is often hard to catch but that is where it needs to be.

Good luck as you make the conversion to RAW. You will love the additional editing ability you have in RAW. I did one trip shooting in both JPEG and RAW and quickly realized there was no need for both. Sorry I really cannot assist with the PP as I am just in the beginning stages myself.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    I really like the setting and poses. Very cute kid!

Others on this site with way more experience than me can probably articulate better......but your .CR2 issues are likely due to the version of a RAW eiditor/viewer you either do or don' t have. Some recent camera models have different RAW file formats which require updated software. You don't mention what type of camera you're using. Most likely camera came with a CD/DVD of software, including a RAW viewer/editor. That should get you access to the raw files, and should allow you some RAW editing capability, and ability to export to more user-friendly JPG. However, if you're trying to edit/process in a different app, like Photoshop, you need to insure that your app has the latest updates needed to view the latest RAW files. I'll warn you that some older versions of the apps may not be compatible with the latest RAW files, requiring you to upgrade to the newer version of the software (for example I believe that some earlier version of PS Elements isn't compatible with latest Canon RAW files).
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    aj986s wrote:
    I really like the setting and poses. Very cute kid!

Others on this site with way more experience than me can probably articulate better......but your .CR2 issues are likely due to the version of a RAW eiditor/viewer you either do or don' t have. Some recent camera models have different RAW file formats which require updated software. You don't mention what type of camera you're using. Most likely camera came with a CD/DVD of software, including a RAW viewer/editor. That should get you access to the raw files, and should allow you some RAW editing capability, and ability to export to more user-friendly JPG. However, if you're trying to edit/process in a different app, like Photoshop, you need to insure that your app has the latest updates needed to view the latest RAW files. I'll warn you that some older versions of the apps may not be compatible with the latest RAW files, requiring you to upgrade to the newer version of the software (for example I believe that some earlier version of PS Elements isn't compatible with latest Canon RAW files).

Exactly - you need software to read those CR2 files - Canon's DPP software is ok if that's all you have but (depending on your camera) there are also converters available for the Adobe products, and even Picasa will read your CR2 files if you ensure it has the appropriate patches and is set to do so. Lastly, GIMP is a FREE raw editor which many people like (I haven't used it, but I gather it's pretty darned good)

So, in fact, the shots you have above are presumably the jpg files.

Back to these shots:

The good
    - Love the setup and the posing idea
    - adorable kiddo

The "needs work"
    - I'm seeing a funky white balance. What kind of lighting were you using?
    - 1&3 aren't as crisply focused as I'd like to see - what aperture/speeds were you using? I'm going to guess that either your depth of field was a little shallow or that you were handholding at too slow a shutter speed.
    - your composition idea is a REALLY good one... but it doesn't quite come off. I'm not sure if I want to see more or less of the trunk, but just seeing part of it AND the background together doesn't quite work for me. I think it's an excellent idea, though, and sure hope you'll go back and try for more!

I hope these comments don't seem harsh - believe me, I am still very firmly on the lower slopes of the learning curve myself!!!
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    Thanks for the comments. I'm happy to hear more. Okay. I'm going to post the larger pics so we can see which ones are terribly out of focus and which ones are my best keepers! For my untrained eye...I think that 1 and 4 are the most focused. I used available lighting with a 50 mm 1.8 for the other shots (2,3,5,6)...Trust me he was MOVING, even in the suitcase the boy wouldn't sit still (8 months old). To MY eye the indoor ones 2,3,5,6 are not tightly as focused as they should be, but not terribly out of focus either. The 2 outdoor shots 1 and 4 are in focus I think? I really tried to get that AF point on his eyes, and outside we were in nice overcast light plus I realized that my old film SLR hotshoe flash might work so I bounced it to the right. It isn't metering properly since it is a Nikon and my dSLR is a Canon. It seemed to help enormously to get the shot in focus though. Which ones are my keepers?

SuitcaseWinner1-1.jpg

#2 Blurry hand for sure
    WinnerSuitcase1-1.jpg

WinnerSuitcase3-1.jpg

Suitcasewinner2_topost-1.jpg

Suitcase1-1.jpg

WinnerSuitcase4-1.jpg
  • RicherSeaRicherSea Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    CR2 is the RAW file format that comes out of all canon cameras, but not all CR2 files are the same. You need a RAW convertor that supports your camera specifically. If you are using and Adobe software like camera RAW or photoshop make sure you have the latest updates downloaded and installed.
    DivaMom! Thanks for your helpful reply! I VERY much appreciate the constructive criticism. It is the only thing going to help me learn and improve!

Okay about the framing of the shot. I was stumped too. I knew I wanted this theme---rustic trunk, suspenders, blue eyed baby boy...but it was hard to shoot. I didn't know how much to keep in the picture. If I pulled too far back I felt like I was losing him. (I also didn't want him to fall out of the suitcase onto the hardwood floor!). I sort of liked 4 in that the top of the suitcase has a gold rim and it looked like a picture frame! I thought that was a great frame.

Okay. I still haven't downloaded the Canon software yet (am I a classic busy Mom or what!). I know there must be a converter on there. Tom also mentioned that free Raw editor. I want to give that a spin!

Thanks so much, you guys. Please keep the comments rolling. I think I like #1 best for printing (or #4). Thoughts on what might be frameable?
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    1 or 4 if you can add some focus/sharpness to the face would be great for framing. I LOVE the suitcase!! I am having prop envy here!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    Hi, kidzmom! These have great potential! #1, 2 and 4 are my favorites. Are you using a tripod? What light source did you use? Also these might allow you to experiment with lower f/stop and faster shutter speeds for those quick baby limbs. I have a hard time focusing on eyes, myself, because my contacts dry out when I try and then they blur. Do you auto-focus or manual focus?
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    The EXIF data shows shutter speed below 1/90 sec on all of them. That's way too slow for an active baby. You should consider using manual mode, instead of auto program, so you can set the desired aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. You need to bump up the ISO, or get more light, to get a faster shutter speed. Also use a single AF point to lock focus on those eyes instead of letting the camera choose for you.

You should try Picasa for editing and viewing. It's free.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    Thank you for your suggestions! I wasn't using a tripod. I might want to do that, but I don't have a remote and I have to stand within a foot of the baby so he doesn't crash! These are the NO FUN limitations when shooting a little guy. I wish the world were padded! Anyway, I set the camera to Auto, with no flash for this shoot (exept for those 2 shots with the hotshoe flash on bounce). I have been experiementing with faster shutter speeds to control the blur and opening up my f-stop...but I find it so complex to move between managing the baby and fiddling with my camera. I'm definately going to keep working on the settings. I have been using AF which has 7 or 9 focus dots. I usually get about 3 lit up and try for the eyes every time. I will take your advice and set it to one focus point. I'll have to figure that out. I was using a 50 mm lens so shouldn't I have a 1/50th shutter speed? Isn't that the formula? Do you have suggestions to try for a NO FLASH, outdoor shade situation? Ie what f-stop, shutter speed and exposure to try? I will prob use the 50 mm lens.
    THANKS again for all of the suggestions and comments. I'm really feeling a lot of improvement on the way! :)
    edited September 30, 2009
    If manual mode is too much for now, try the AV mode, where you set the desired aperture and the camera determines the shutter speed. Increase the ISO value as necessary to get a faster shutter speed. The formula of 1/focal length is a general rule of thumb for minimum hand holdable shutter speed, but your subject's movement would require a faster shutter speed to freeze the action. Try AV mode with aperture f/2.8 - 4.0, ISO 200, and see if you can get a shutter speed of 1/125 sec or faster. If not, bump up the ISO to 400 or 800. At f/2.8, ISO 800, and you still can't get 1/125 or faster shutter speed, then it's time to get more light on your subject.

Also don't forget to focus on the eye with a single AF point selected. That way you determine the exact focus area instead of letting the camera decide for you. Keep shooting and sharing your result.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    Thanks for those suggestions! I did another shoot today but unfortunately read this post afterwards. Luckily I got some good shots today (for me). I upped the ISO and ran through P mode. I took your advice and chose the center AF point. I got some good eye shots. I was shooting my 3 year old and she is a LOT easier to capture than the baby. She will actually cooperate and stay still when asked so blur wasn't an issue today. The 800 seemed to help a LOT since we were indoors (window lighting). I also bounced a flash off the wall wall for a few shots. I will post them soon for comment. Even if they aren't the best shots I know I'm improving! Thank you for your help. :)
    Cuong wrote:
    If manual mode is too much for now, try the AV mode, where you set the desired aperture and the camera determines the shutter speed. Increase the ISO value as necessary to get a faster shutter speed. The formula of 1/focal length is a general rule of thumb for minimum hand holdable shutter speed, but your subject's movement would require a faster shutter speed to freeze the action. Try AV mode with aperture f/2.8 - 4.0, ISO 200, and see if you can get a shutter speed of 1/125 sec or faster. If not, bump up the ISO to 400 or 800. At f/2.8, ISO 800, and you still can't get 1/125 or faster shutter speed, then it's time to get more light on your subject.

Also don't forget to focus on the eye with a single AF point selected. That way you determine the exact focus area instead of letting the camera decide for you. Keep shooting and sharing your result.

Cuong
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Can I suggest you have a look at this thread?

It's long, but I think it may clarify while you'll have better luck with aperture-priority (or shutter priority in some situations) rather than P (where you have less control over the settings). Happy reading! thumb.gif
    divamum wrote:
    Can I suggest you have a look at this thread?

It's long, but I think it may clarify while you'll have better luck with aperture-priority (or shutter priority in some situations) rather than P (where you have less control over the settings). Happy reading! thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gifExcellent suggestion.

Cuong
    edited October 1, 2009
    Cuong and DivaMom,
    THANK YOU for your suggestions! Cuong, like I said I did the "P" yesterday before I read your post about AV. I will henceforth be shooting in AV and will take your suggestions about ISO, lighting and focus. I LOVED that thread DivaMom. What excellent "down to earth" conversation that was. I felt a LOT like the original poster. I'm very happy to have accesss to that post. I have marked it as a favorite and will definately re-read it again. I will also be ordering "Understanding Exposure" too. THANKS so much for your help ---to both of you :)
    Kelly