Y'all have had at LEAST 12 hrs to play with the 7d - where are your reviews?!

2»

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    I loaded my first set of shots without processing them at all.

Gallery

So forgive the muddle of shots, but if you want to see sequential shots of birds at the feeder or my dog, that is where they are at. A few that I like:

Cat inside the house, me outside. 1.4xTC and the 300mm lens

666470530_B9Jaw-M.jpg

Nuthatch with seed:

666511063_HbJDu-M.jpg

Backlit dog, just cuz he is my dog!

666590721_Xa95q-M.jpg

The game this weekend is going to be outside not indoors, so I won't get to run that test until the 13th of Oct. :-(

I am doing some real estate shots tomorrow so may have more to post.

ann
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:

Gallery
    ann
    Ann,

Any chnance of you enabling originals on that gallery? The largest available is XL.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 1, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    I really haven't looked hard at stills yet. I figure a lot of people will do that so I went after the video.

One intangible for me is I shoot kids who move around a lot. For example, at Disney last week I had a 50mm on the 5D MKII and was sortof playing hide 'n seek with Leia, with her bobbing to the left and right. I'm surprised how few shots i could get off in focus with her bobbing and weaving, and can't help but wonder what I missed by not having a faster camera:

652306777_xmsqr-X2-1.jpg

I would gladly trade off slight image quality to get more frames and a better chance at the fleeting smile I may have lost.

Canon does not have a fast focusing 50mm prime. I think the EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is about as fast as you can get in that range, but the 70-200mm "L" zooms are amazingly fast and would be my recommendation for a similar FOV (at 70mm).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited October 1, 2009
    Ann,

Any chnance of you enabling originals on that gallery? The largest available is XL.

Done Scott.

I forgot to mention those shots are ISO 1600
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited October 1, 2009
    Thanks Ann. You 'da bomb. (That's a good thing in American slang. thumb.gif )
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Done Scott.

I forgot to mention those shots are ISO 1600
    Thanks - impressive noise performance .... even in the shadow areas.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Thanks - impressive noise performance .... even in the shadow areas.

Looks really good in those shots. They were properly exposed, of course, which helps. Which leads me to....

Ann, if you (or anybody else who's got the camera) get any high ISO shots that are slightly underexposed - you know, the kind of shots one tends to wind up with in the situations which demand high ISOs!! - could you share? I know these are always the shots where my xsi really lets me down - it HATTTEESSSS being underexposed, and boy, does it show!

Thanks SO much to all of you "early adopters" for letting the rest of us see what the new kid on the block is like. All kidding aside, I know it must be a pain to have us breathing down your necks, and I for one appreciate your willingness to share with us all! thumb.gif
    edited October 1, 2009
    For me the big test will be indoor soccer, and we are 2 weeks away from that, sadly. I suppose I could go creep around the indoor centers or a hockey arena and take some random shots, but I am going to be in Acadia for a week! so probably won't get them done.

Per the histogram, there are some underexposed shots - check the early dog shots:

666443847_57qUe-L.jpg

Not as bad as the indoor shots I am used to taking, but underexposed and not yet processed to correct, so don't know how it would survive processing.

ann

divamum wrote:
    Looks really good in those shots. They were properly exposed, of course, which helps. Which leads me to....

Ann, if you (or anybody else who's got the camera) get any high ISO shots that are slightly underexposed - you know, the kind of shots one tends to wind up with in the situations which demand high ISOs!! - could you share? I know these are always the shots where my xsi really lets me down - it HATTTEESSSS being underexposed, and boy, does it show!

Thanks SO much to all of you "early adopters" for letting the rest of us see what the new kid on the block is like. All kidding aside, I know it must be a pain to have us breathing down your necks, and I for one appreciate your willingness to share with us all! thumb.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:

Gallery

It is not at D700 level but for a 18MP APS-C camera this is amazing, I have a great feeling about the future APS Nikon and 4/3 bodies in my future now.

Canon well done thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Ann, if you (or anybody else who's got the camera) get any high ISO shots that are slightly underexposed - you know, the kind of shots one tends to wind up with in the situations which demand high ISOs!! - could you share?
    Can't say they underexposed, but they are high ISO at the brink of the non-being able to see what I'm shooting (see the exif in the gallery)
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=145564
    "May the f/stop be with you!"