Options

Digital Camera Recommendations

zillazilla Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited July 6, 2005 in Cameras
Hello Ian! I am new to this site, but so far I am really enjoying the photography, and the comments. I am actually a painter. When I was studying painting I took quite a few photography classes, but I have just now started taking photography seriously, and enjoying it. I have started taking abstract photos with a digital camera. I want to buy a new camera. What do you suggest. Do you think using the digital camera for now is okay? Thanks, Zilla
ian408 wrote:
Take a look through the Accessories Review sticky.

I would suggest buying a tripod that is heavy enough to hold the camera and what
ever accessories you want to put on the camera. This could be something like a
Slik or Bogen. If you feel you need a heavy tripod, the Gitzo is also a nice (but
expensive choice).

What ever you do, find one that meets or exceeds your requirements and will be one
you'll use as opposed to leave home when you might otherwise need it :)

Let us know what you decide!

Ian

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 5, 2005
    zilla wrote:
    Hello Ian! I am new to this site, but so far I am really enjoying the photography, and the comments. I am actually a painter. When I was studying painting I took quite a few photography classes, but I have just now started taking photography seriously, and enjoying it. I have started taking abstract photos with a digital camera. I want to buy a new camera. What do you suggest. Do you think using the digital camera for now is okay? Thanks, Zilla
    Digital camera is alway OK. Tell you what. I'm gonna bust this post out of
    the thread and start a new one.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 5, 2005
    zilla wrote:

Zilla, welcome to dgrin! Your Profile does not tell us anything about you. How about telling us a little about yourself, your budget, and what you plan to use the camera for. Then, perhaps some of our fearless posters will jump in with a few recommendations. :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Another question is are you looking to buy a digital SLR, or a prosumer digicam?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 6, 2005
    To answer your question, I will ask one of my own.

You mentioned abstract photos. By this, I would think maybe traditional
    photography and the abstraction added using Photoshop or some other
    editing package? Is this what you intend?

Because it's me, I would consider an dSLR. The flexibility of changing lenses
    and having complete control would give you more freedom. Canon and Nikon
    (as well as others) offer some great cameras from around a grand to well over
    twelve grand.

That doesn't mean you can't get equally good shots with a fully manual point
    and shoot and spend two to three hundred bucks.

Let us know what it is you'd like to do and we'll follow with more advice.

Cheers,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?