Help me pick a lens for Fall Foliage trip

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited September 30, 2009 in Cameras
Hoping someone can convince me one way or the other. I am going to the White Mountains in NH next weekend for Foliage hunting. I have a Nikon D300 and the 70-200 VR lens. Killer lens. I also have the 18-200 VR lens that is very versatile, but no way near the sharpness of the 70-200 VR. I thought I’d get something better to fill out the range below 70mm. I have rented the 24-70mm lens and while it was very sharp, I don’t think it meets the sharpness level of the 70-200VR lens. But I am thinking about giving it another try or renting the Nikon 14-24 Wide angles lens. This lens has gotten phenomenal reviews perhaps even besting the 70-200VR lens in terms of sharpness.

I reviewed the last two years of pics from my foliage trips to NH. It’s focal range is evenly divided between shots of 70-200mm or those below 70mm. I think 24-70 will be more practical, but as I said I wasn’t blown away by the sharpness. I’m really intrigued to try the 14-24 as I will be doing time-lapse photos at night with the foliage but I get the feeling it’s too specialized and I would have limited use of it. I don’t think I’ll try too many big old landscape views of the White Mountains so I would have to use the 14-24 for VERY up close shots besides my night time shot. I will also be taking photos of several waterfalls in the area.

Which do you think I would get more value out of, the 24-70mm or the 14-24mm lens?
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited September 29, 2009
    If you have changed your itinerary from last year and expect to find vista landscapes, then a super-wide zoom would come in handy. While the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S is legendary for center sharpness and very good to excellent corners, other super-wide zooms are very nice in their middle apertures and go wider still.

I would have a tough time going on any trip without a "standard" zoom, and for the Nikon D300 that would be the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S DX or similar third party zoom.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    I'd go wide, either the 14-24(which I've heard is nothing less than stellar) or the 17-55 like Zig mentioned. Either one would make some nice panos from the lookout points along the Kanc I imagine.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    A macro will be good for individual leaves and stuff, but definitely go WIDE for some of your shots! The 14-24mm really shines in landscapes where it captures great detail across the entire frame.

Two of my own efforts, both taken at 14mm:

657532799_HgWgR-L.jpg

660027079_xckq9-L.jpg
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you have changed your itinerary from last year and expect to find vista landscapes, then a super-wide zoom would come in handy. While the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S is legendary for center sharpness and very good to excellent corners, other super-wide zooms are very nice in their middle apertures and go wider still.

I would have a tough time going on any trip without a "standard" zoom, and for the Nikon D300 that would be the Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S DX or similar third party zoom.

Sorry I did not mention I have the Nikon 18-200 VR lens. It is damaged right now as having problems extending/retracting the barrel. Though opticaly its fine.

Does anyone feel that the 17-55 2.8 lens is any better or same than the 24-70 lens in terms of sharpness? More folks have pushed me to former than the latter. Not sure if I will do this, but seriously thinking for renting the 70-200VR for one week. Then the 24-70 for a week and then maybe the 14-24 for a 3 day rental or vice versa.
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com