Options

BIG Err 99 error

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited July 7, 2005 in Cameras
I was shooting today with my 20D and the 70-200 IS L 2.8 with the 1.4x TC on it and all of a sudden it ERR 99'd. Now what is weird is as long as it was "ON" and the battery was in it, the shutter kept firing....like, by itself. I have taken the battery out, swapped the battery with another one, put on the 50mm lens instead of the 70-200 and it will not reset itself. I cannot get it to stop triggering the shutter, none of the buttons do anything.

HELP!

Comments

• Options
    edited July 6, 2005
    Anyone??!?!

BBones wrote:
    I was shooting today with my 20D and the 70-200 IS L 2.8 with the 1.4x TC on it and all of a sudden it ERR 99'd. Now what is weird is as long as it was "ON" and the battery was in it, the shutter kept firing....like, by itself. I have taken the battery out, swapped the battery with another one, put on the 50mm lens instead of the 70-200 and it will not reset itself. I cannot get it to stop triggering the shutter, none of the buttons do anything.

HELP!
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    I have seen the dreaded error 99, but usually shutting down and reloading the battery fixes it. I have never had a camera lock on while shooting.

Pull the CF card, see if it will not shoot if it has nowhere to write.

I guess you cannot access menu's either?

That is really odd. I don't know what to recommend. Did you check at robgalbraith.com? Someone there might know and some Canon employees check their boards. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2005
    I pulled both batteries out of it, removed the CF card, no main battery in it over night, did the pencil eraser trick....still doesn't work.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited July 6, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    I pulled both batteries out of it, removed the CF card, no main battery in it over night, did the pencil eraser trick....still doesn't work.

Damn. Sounds serious. There's another battery in the camera. I don't remember where
    it is but it's what keeps the time, etc. Have you pulled that as well? Can you pull
    it out?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 6, 2005
    If its less than a year old, call Canon immediately and demand a fix or a replacement. If you're lucky enough to have bought it locally from a big Canon dealer, go there and have them take care of you.

that is the "best" one I've heard yet... continuing to fire. Wow. good luck!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    I've noticed my 20D will occassionally lock-up with my 70-200/2.8/IS if I shoot for extended periods with IS enabled. Apprantly this is a problem of the lens, as it happens with Mark II's as well. Unmounting the lens has always solved the problem for me, however. Irritating, but I have not had the extreme problem that you are having.

Go back to your dealer and talk to the service department. This is why I buy local. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    Sounds like a cosmic ray* got to your camera and fried something. Pulling both batteries like you did should have reset the camera if it were just a regular lockup/glitch. Sounds like something physical now. You will have to call Canon.

*Cosmic rays are my scape-goat ;-)

Hmm, a cosmic goat reminds me of "Pigs in Space"

pigsinsp.jpg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2005
    *sigh*

I bought it through BHPhoto back in February. Canon told me I need to send it in. Crap, I have a shoot next Wednesday and I go on vacation for 3 days along the Oregon Coast starting on the 20th. No way I am getting out of work early today either to go collect all the receipt stuff and xerox it and get it out through UPS, have to wait until tomorrow to ship it out.

And yes. With the battery in, anytime I do anything with the cam (open battery door, insert CF card, change lens) it triggers the mirror. It is not taking pictures, just triggering the mirror, I have watched it with no lens on doing this "feature"
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    Did you try playing with the custom function for mirror lock up?
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    Did you find the battery just inside the battery compartment? Have you tried
    removing it? The battery is a small flat battery that's on the hinge side of
    the compartment and lifts straight out.

Unfortunately, I think the battery only backs up the date function.

Also, what brand of memory are you using and have you tried with something
    else?

Ian
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    Yes, like I said earlier, BOTH batteries were yanked. This camera is dead dead dead. I left it set to on over night, with no batteries (either of them), and no CF inside, nor an attached lens. As soon as I inserted the main battery this morning (with no lens or CF card and switched to OFF) it started firing.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Yes, like I said earlier, BOTH batteries were yanked. This camera is dead dead dead. I left it set to on over night, with no batteries (either of them), and no CF inside, nor an attached lens. As soon as I inserted the main battery this morning (with no lens or CF card and switched to OFF) it started firing.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Ian
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    I'll ask the obvious, does the shutter button look like it may be stuck in the
    shooting position? Maybe by tapping it a bit (if it's stuck) would free it up.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.