input on 35mm f/1.4L

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited June 14, 2010 in Cameras
I was talking to a photog buddy the other day and he was raving about his Canon 35mm f/1.4L, says he uses it as general purpose. 35mm seems like an awkward FL, too wide for portraits, too narrow for landscape, for me at least (shooting FF). I've not really considered adding it to my collection because of that, and right now am still not, but based on the good things I was hearing I just wanted to gather a broader range of opinions. Anyone who has/uses the lens- would appreciate your impression and how it fits into your workflow?
Thanks

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    The lens itself is superb, one of Canon's absolute best, sharpest. Lots of folks love it on a crop body, as it approaches the 'normal' range of 50mm.

I think you may've talked yourself out of one for full-frame though.

But if you need the FL, there's nothing better from Canon.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    The lens itself is superb, one of Canon's absolute best, sharpest. Lots of folks love it on a crop body, as it approaches the 'normal' range of 50mm.

I think you may've talked yourself out of one for full-frame though.

But if you need the FL, there's nothing better from Canon.

Thanks, Andy. I know you shoot FF- do you use the lens a lot?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    chrismoore wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. I know you shoot FF- do you use the lens a lot?
    No, I currently do not own it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    The 35mm focal length, on FF, is a very nice size for an interior event lens. It is a compromise between a standard and a wide, so it gives a pretty good FOV for group interactions. I believe we have 2 DGrinners who use it for wedding work and I have been looking at it for the same purpose.

I already cover the length in 2 "L" zoom lenses, but there are times when the larger aperture would be nice.

There are also landscape applications where you need the combination of FOV and narrow DOF that this lens offers, which you cannot duplicate any other way.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The 35mm focal length, on FF, is a very nice size for an interior event lens. It is a compromise between a standard and a wide, so it gives a pretty good FOV for group interactions. I believe we have 2 DGrinners who use it for wedding work and I have been looking at it for the same purpose.

I already cover the length in 2 "L" zoom lenses, but there are times when the larger aperture would be nice.

There are also landscape applications where you need the combination of FOV and narrow DOF that this lens offers, which you cannot duplicate any other way.

Thanks, Ziggy. I read some reviews and as Andy said it is a well regarded prime and I could see how it would be good for interior events. I have really taken to primes lately and do use the 24mm f/1.4L and 50mm f/1.4L, so I'm not sure the 35 would have a lot to offer. Based on what I've heard/read about it I thought I should look into it and regard the advice of fellow Dgrinners very highly! Thanks.
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    I loved this lens when I had my Canon bodies. It was great for events and people photography that wasn't close portraiture. Beautifully made and satisfying to behold.
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I use this lens on a 5D Mk II and use it for the vast majority of my photos on one wedding days. It's wicked sharp, very responsive, and I get amazing results from it. I have TONS of examples with it if you want to see any.
    edited October 2, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    I use this lens on a 5D Mk II and use it for the vast majority of my photos on one wedding days. It's wicked sharp, very responsive, and I get amazing results from it. I have TONS of examples with it if you want to see any.

Sure! put a couple up so we can see.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    nod.gif - would love to see a couple of examples. I just can't quite get my mind around the concept of "I use this lens on a 5D Mk II and use it for the vast majority of my photos on one wedding days." Thanks.
    edited October 4, 2009
    As requested, 35L examples from my recent weddings (of the 9 pictures they're from 7 different weddings) I've owned the 35L since December when I got my first 5D Mk II (I now own two 5D Mk II's). I have plenty more examples if those don't satisfy your appetites, just let me know. I also use the 35L for all formals... can post examples of those if desired too, but those aren't the "fun" pics like the photos below. I also took an amazing fireworks photo today with the couple and them watching fireworks today using the 35L... but won't have that ready for posting for a little while now.

668122201_yEKcA-L.jpg

648257457_UeyHC-L.jpg

647056878_G9LrX-L.jpg

648252024_UDBQZ-L.jpg

620947171_7m9bK-L.jpg

620945663_ecCzt-L.jpg

612129117_PSauk-L.jpg

606343733_NcqnJ-L.jpg

591502797_j7Dor-L.jpg
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Thanks, Cat. I am trying to decide if I should get a 35 or 24. I have zoom lenses too and I use my 50 1.2 a lot but I want a wider prime. I use the 24-105 a lot but would like to have a prime to work along side the 50 or 135. I could have loved the 35 L today. I did a 19 person portrait session today and 7 family off shoots. The 50 1.2 wasn't wide enough and I wanted the 35 but used the 24-105.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited October 4, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Thanks, Cat. I am trying to decide if I should get a 35 or 24. I have zoom lenses too and I use my 50 1.2 a lot but I want a wider prime. I use the 24-105 a lot but would like to have a prime to work along side the 50 or 135. I could have loved the 35 L today. I did a 19 person portrait session today and 7 family off shoots. The 50 1.2 wasn't wide enough and I wanted the 35 but used the 24-105.

I think 24L is great for crop body cameras and 35L for full frame. The 24L is too wide for my regular needs on the 5D2. That being said, I'm considering a 16-35L as my possible next lens (although I *love* primes) because I think on the rare occasion I want something wide, it would be nice to have the 16-35 range for those few wide shots I need. I also really want an 85 1.2 eventually, but the 85 1.8 is holding me over until I can make that switch (it's actually quite impressive for the cost), so I'm thinking 16-35 will be the next member to join my family. First I still need to sell my 30D and old 100 2.8 Macro (the non L non IS one...since I just go that new L/IS lens...mmmm, love it) Lenses are so addicting........
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    A friend of mine here in Las Vegas does a lot of landscape HDR work with his 35L. He definitely loves it. Here is a link to one of his HDR images shot with the 35L. You can find more on this same photostream:

http://bit.ly/2m97jP
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    I was trying which to buy and had a chance to borrow both the 24L and the 35L for a behind the scenes shoot on a film. Now I must say I've already got the 16-35L and the 24-105L as well as a 50mm f1.4 around that range.

I found the 24mm too wide, having to get too 'in your face' to really capture much with it. Where as I fell in love with the 35mm, beautifully sharp, deep contrast and rich colour. It lets you capture portraits and midshots while letting in enough surroundings to really tell the story of the location too.

It's picture quality is up there with the 85mm f1.2L while being a heck of a lot faster to focus. Those 2 are my favorite Canon lenses by a long way. If you're sitting on the fence, borrow or hire one, I bet you'll add one to your bag sooner or later.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I have this lens and it's become one of my favorites, especially for candid photography. Last spring, when I was taking B.D. Colen's Documentary Photography course at the Harvard Extension School, it was pretty much the only lens I used, and the results are some of my all time favorites:

Dog Politics

481711250_cfwQw-XL.jpg

567300417_BQieS-XL.jpg

519788995_RJfRn-XL.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited October 7, 2009
    Nice - thanks for sharing. Appreciate the input.

Cat - too bad we are too far away to do a lens trade for a weekend! Actually, i like the 16-35 a lot for Ceremony shots and low light party shots. With the ability to crop in on a 5d2 and still have great quality, the shots work quite nicely.
    Kathy Rappaport
    edited October 7, 2009
    Shima wrote:
    I think 24L is great for crop body cameras and 35L for full frame. The 24L is too wide for my regular needs on the 5D2. That being said, I'm considering a 16-35L as my possible next lens (although I *love* primes) because I think on the rare occasion I want something wide, it would be nice to have the 16-35 range for those few wide shots I need. I also really want an 85 1.2 eventually, but the 85 1.8 is holding me over until I can make that switch (it's actually quite impressive for the cost), so I'm thinking 16-35 will be the next member to join my family. First I still need to sell my 30D and old 100 2.8 Macro (the non L non IS one...since I just go that new L/IS lens...mmmm, love it) Lenses are so addicting........

Shima, those are nice shots. do you use a plug in set for the color modifications are do you do it manually in photoshop?
    edited October 7, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    I have this lens and it's become one of my favorites, especially for candid photography. Last spring, when I was taking B.D. Colen's Documentary Photography course at the Harvard Extension School, it was pretty much the only lens I used, and the results are some of my all time favorites:

Those are great shots! I particularly like #2. was that all window light or did you use a flash?
    edited October 7, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Those are great shots! I particularly like #2. was that all window light or did you use a flash?

All available light.
    If not now, when?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 7, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Actually the EXIF data on those great shots says they were all taken with different lenses, 35mm, 28mm, and 50mm, respectively.

-joel
    edited October 7, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Actually the EXIF data on those great shots says they were all taken with different lenses, 35mm, 28mm, and 50mm, respectively.

-joel

Guess I need to be more careful.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 9, 2009
    This time for sure:

665153497_opq62-XL.jpg

540522039_LfDYA-XL.jpg

514063735_FoRV3-XL.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • kewlcanonkewlcanon Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Get one...it's one of Canon's magic lenses.
    edited October 10, 2009
    Youse Guys
    You guys are a bad influence on my credit cards.

I got a call to do a last minute event today. Either I could go home and get my lens of choice (and other camera - and memory cards) or I could go to my favorite camera store and just buy the darned thing and some more memory. I got a free bulb blower, a free lens cleaning kit, a free plastic bag to hold my new lens.

And the really good thing was that it was the exact perfect lens for the event.

I knew you would not steer me wrong. Who wants me to send them my Visa Bill when it comes?
    Kathy Rappaport
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited October 10, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    ... it was the exact perfect lens for the event.

Congratulations Kathy. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    You guys are a bad influence on my credit cards.

I got a call to do a last minute event today. Either I could go home and get my lens of choice (and other camera - and memory cards) or I could go to my favorite camera store and just buy the darned thing and some more memory. I got a free bulb blower, a free lens cleaning kit, a free plastic bag to hold my new lens.

And the really good thing was that it was the exact perfect lens for the event.

I knew you would not steer me wrong. Who wants me to send them my Visa Bill when it comes?

Lol, I'll pay for your 35L if you pay for my 100-400L I ordered about ten minutes ago.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • keithinmelbournekeithinmelbourne Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Great lens
    I have been using the 35mm for a few months now, and find it to be the most versatile in my kit. The images it produces have their own look in terms of bokeh, clarity, focus and saturation. I often find myself zooming with my feet, just so I can preserve that look, rather than putting on a zoom. I am very glad I bought this lens.
    Keith

Mumon is right! "Every day is a good day!"

http://www.keithbroadphotography.com/
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    Just bought the 35mm. Can't wait!
    Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L