Tan Colored Mane

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited October 4, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I felt so sorry for this horse. It should of been out roaming the prairie instead of in a muddy pen.

665849882_fw8As-L.jpg

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    That is a great shot Mary Kim........thumb.gif azzaro

I think horses like mud mine look for it and roll in it....... I was riding on a really bad day and he laid down in the mud and started to roll in it..... Or, maybe he was trying to get rid of me......rolleyes1.gif azzaro
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    Interesting coloration! I really rather like the softness you've achieved (SOOC?) although the image itself still has sharp points. what lens, if I might ask?
    //Leah
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Azzaro wrote:
    That is a great shot Mary Kim........thumb.gif azzaro

I think horses like mud mine look for it and roll in it....... I was riding on a really bad day and he laid down in the mud and started to roll in it..... Or, maybe he was trying to get rid of me......rolleyes1.gif azzaro

Oh no....your horse tried to roll with you on it. Bet you never knew you could hop off a horse so fast rolleyes1.gif

I was really surprised how much they did like the mud. Thought they would rather be roaming the range, but the seemed really happy.

I'm glad you liked the photo Azzaro. Thank you for commenting :D
    catspaw wrote:
    Interesting coloration! I really rather like the softness you've achieved (SOOC?) although the image itself still has sharp points. what lens, if I might ask?

I achieved the treatment using Topaz. Just bought it and thought I'd play around with it some. Wasn't really sure about the softness, but I think your right....the sharp points help the treatment. I've tried it on other photos and it was a "no-go". Just didn't work. Wonder how it would print out???

The lens I used was my Canon 24-105mm. I love that lens...it never lets me down...I just let it down when a photo doesn't come through right. It was the best investment I made in my camera gear.
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    Good Evening MK,
    I also like the coloration of that picture. Nice composition as well. Looks like your 24-105 IS and the Topaz software is a very good combination thumb.gif
    Talk to you later.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening MK,
    I also like the coloration of that picture. Nice composition as well. Looks like your 24-105 IS and the Topaz software is a very good combination thumb.gif
    Talk to you later.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...

Howdy Jim :D

Yeah it worked pretty good. Different, but good. Now I just need to see it in print. That will be the deciding factor on if I ever do this again.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Hey Mary,

I like the image a lot. Good comp & I like the PP.

Keep up the good work, your on a roll... thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited October 1, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Hey Mary,

I like the image a lot. Good comp & I like the PP.

Keep up the good work, your on a roll... thumb.gif

Thank you Randy for the nice comments. You made my day :D
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    I'd like to be roaming the prairie... :D instead of.
    Michael
    edited October 1, 2009
    DaddyO wrote:
    I'd like to be roaming the prairie... :D instead of.

So would I thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Excellent shot, Mary! Your PP is definitely improving. I am playing around with the Topaz trial version and love it. I can't decide which one to buy or if I should buy the bundle. What did you get?

I do like the PP here--the soft look seems to fit this horse well. I wish his ears weren't cut off at the top, but otherwise I think it's a wonderful composition!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Beautiful! " said, "Wow!" when I first saw it. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited October 3, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Excellent shot, Mary! Your PP is definitely improving. I am playing around with the Topaz trial version and love it. I can't decide which one to buy or if I should buy the bundle. What did you get?

I do like the PP here--the soft look seems to fit this horse well. I wish his ears weren't cut off at the top, but otherwise I think it's a wonderful composition!

Lauren

Dang --- I'm not getting email notifications from this thread. Just happen to see your posting now when I was linking this to my brother.

Yeah...I'm working on my PP -- amazing what one can learn if they only try rolleyes1.gif

Didn't buy the bundle with Topaz, but I also bought Photomatix to. This process I did with Topaz on the horse worked out well. Took some time, but it was worth it. I like Topaz because you don't need the "3" to make it work. I heard you don't need three photos with Photomatix, but I'm not sure how that works.

The ears of the horse -- I took what I could get with that horse. It was always moving since it was trying to wean it's baby. Wish the ears were in the photo too :cry

Thank you for the comments Lauren :D
    edited October 3, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Beautiful! " said, "Wow!" when I first saw it. thumb.gif

Thank you Lee -- :) I'm very happy with how it came out. Haven't been able to do it again with another photo yet. Must work like Orton does..sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Mary -

I upload my photos from my camera and open the folders in Bridge. If you are shooting RAW, you can just right click on the thumbnail and you should get a drop-down menu that you can use to "Open with Photomatix." Your RAW file will then be converted to a "pseudo-HDR" image that you can then tone-map in Photomatix like you do the 3-exposure images. You don't get the true HDR effect with a single image because you don't have the full tonal range you get with multiple exposures. But you can still come up with some nice-looking images that will give you more detail and color. You can end up with significant noise, just like with the "3" HDR files, so it won't work for everything.

If you don't shoot RAW, or if you have older images you want to try it with, you need to convert the file to a 16-bit TIFF and then you can open that in Photomatix and it should work. Give it a try and let me know if you need anything.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited October 4, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Mary -

I upload my photos from my camera and open the folders in Bridge. If you are shooting RAW, you can just right click on the thumbnail and you should get a drop-down menu that you can use to "Open with Photomatix." Your RAW file will then be converted to a "pseudo-HDR" image that you can then tone-map in Photomatix like you do the 3-exposure images. You don't get the true HDR effect with a single image because you don't have the full tonal range you get with multiple exposures. But you can still come up with some nice-looking images that will give you more detail and color. You can end up with significant noise, just like with the "3" HDR files, so it won't work for everything.

If you don't shoot RAW, or if you have older images you want to try it with, you need to convert the file to a 16-bit TIFF and then you can open that in Photomatix and it should work. Give it a try and let me know if you need anything.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren -- I'll give it a try :D

I don't have lightroom, but should be able to do with CS3 somehow.....
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited October 4, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks Lauren -- I'll give it a try :D

I don't have lightroom, but should be able to do with CS3 somehow.....

You can indeed. I built an ACR preset by following a tutorial on the Web a long time ago, but you can download ready-made ACR presets and CS3 actions from a number of sources. Just Google Orton Effect and pick the one you like best.
    edited October 4, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    You can indeed. I built an ACR preset by following a tutorial on the Web a long time ago, but you can download ready-made ACR presets and CS3 actions from a number of sources. Just Google Orton Effect and pick the one you like best.

I'll do that -- thanks thumb.gif