Body Recommendation

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited September 30, 2009 in Cameras
I have the Canon 50D and I cannot decide if I want the 7D or the 5DII.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I love all the new features and speed of the 7D compared the the 50D;

2. I shoot mostly landscapes right now, but I also enjoy shooting wildlife (mostly birds);

3. I am very impressed with the quality of the images that the 5DII produces;

4. Will the quality of the 7D approach the 5DII. Will it be significantly better than my 50D?

Ziggy, and others, what say you:dunno

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    After writing my list of thoughts, I realized that I want the 7D, and I want it now rolleyes1.gif

So I ordered it rolleyes1.gif

I am a complete photo loonrolleyes1.gif
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    Oops! I was too slow. I was going to recommend the 5D2 because of your love of landscapes. The full frame will better utilize your wide lenses.
    damonff wrote:
    Oops! I was too slow. I was going to recommend the 5D2 because of your love of landscapes. The full frame will better utilize your wide lenses.

Thanks for the response.

I use a 10-22 on my 50D. It is a great lens and I get a 16 mm equivalent with it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks for the response.

I use a 10-22 on my 50D. It is a great lens and I get a 16 mm equivalent with it.

When the super-wide zooms came out, that removed much of the objection that people had for crop cameras. The Canon 10-22mm is the good stuff. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    ziggy53 wrote:
    When the super-wide zooms came out, that removed much of the objection that people had for crop cameras. The Canon 10-22mm is the good stuff. clap.gif

I just compared test shots of the 7D to the 5dII, and there is no comparison. The 5DII at ISO 400 is markedly better than the 7D at 100.

I think I may change my mind and go for the 5DII.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    FWIW, Dan, I still shoot with both my old 40D and the 5DMII. You can't beat the crop-body cameras for wildlife and other telephoto work. But I love the 5DMII for landscape and portraits. The combination of the 5DMII and the 50D will be quite superb. Bear in mind you will need a new wide-angle lens for the 5DMII, and possibly your mid-range too (if you're currently using an EF-S 17-55 for example). So this is going to be a much more expensive route than simply upgrading your crop body.

Cheers,
    -joel
    kdog wrote:
    FWIW, Dan, I still shoot with both my old 40D and the 5DMII. You can't beat the crop-body cameras for wildlife and other telephoto work. But I love the 5DMII for landscape and portraits. The combination of the 5DMII and the 50D will be quite superb. Bear in mind you will need a new wide-angle lens for the 5DMII, and possibly your mid-range too (if you're currently using an EF-S 17-55 for example). So this is going to be a much more expensive route than simply upgrading your crop body.

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel thumb.gif I have the 24-70, so all I will need is the WA.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    I did the cheaper route of complementing my 40D with a refurbished 5D. They work wonderfully well together and give me two sets of lenses from my collection depending on which camera I mount it on.

My only debate is whether I want to pick up a 17-40L as I already have the 10 - 22 for my 40D. I am holding tight right now, but also have the option of essentially an even exchange if I sold one and bought the other.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    If I was a Canon user, the 7D would be my workhorse. Best camera they have ever produced in my opinion.