Senior Portraits - C&C welcome

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in People
I don't do this much, mostly I shoot sports, but I like to do portraits as a challenge on the side. This was my 6th senior in 3 years, and my first of this year. This is Sarah and she was very happy with the results. She wanted a beach/ocean setting and could only meet in the late afternoon which made the light a bit tough, but I think I handled it okay. Your thoughts are welcome.

1. one of her favorites
666051198_ayNrk-XL-1.jpg

2. another of her favorites. I know, chest facing the camera is a no-no, but she was turning as I took this and we liked how it came out.
666051303_kyY9b-XL-1.jpg

666051428_nzceA-L-1.jpg

4. let's try that again in a shadow...
666051576_WdwgA-L-1.jpg
(I will deal with the hair later)

666051807_CaMNo-L-1.jpg

666051940_PxcbU-L-1.jpg

7. I like this one, maybe not for "the" portrait, but I hope she uses it for something.
666052104_mRoyG-L.jpg

8. wanted to try this driftwood, but it was in a very heavy shadow. Gelled the flash to balance it, but the color is still a little funky. I like the pose though.
666052248_nQYmo-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, and thanks to jeffreaux2 and WingsOfLove for some inspiration. I've got a ways to go to catch up to them, but I hope to get there soon.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    Love 1,2 and 7 good light and pose
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    I think number 7 would look better with the subject turned towards the center of the photo. There's too much behind her for no apparent reason. I can see that that's where the sun was (on your left). Maybe crop it?
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    blaser321 wrote:
    Love 1,2 and 7 good light and pose

Thanks, those are my favorites too. I just realized 3 is the trucker mudflap girl pose!! Doh!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    CyberSteak wrote:
    I think number 7 would look better with the subject turned towards the center of the photo.

But then her body would be more shaded.....?
    There's too much behind her for no apparent reason.

I was going for the rule of thirds there, while keeping her into the light. Sometimes I like subjects facing out of the frame, rather than into it. The background of this pic is where she grew up (coast of Maine) so I like that her body is facing away from it, towards the light and towards her future, if I may be so melodramatic for a moment!
    Maybe crop it?

That is possible, and she can do that if she wants. These were taken with my new 5DII... with 21mp there is acres of room for cropping!! :D
    -Jack

• CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    But then her body would be more shaded.....?

I was going for the rule of thirds there, while keeping her into the light. Sometimes I like subjects facing out of the frame, rather than into it. The background of this pic is where she grew up (coast of Maine) so I like that her body is facing away from it, towards the light and towards her future, if I may be so melodramatic for a moment!

That is possible, and she can do that if she wants. These were taken with my new 5DII... with 21mp there is acres of room for cropping!! :D

Ok well now with the story...it makes sense.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    I'm loving the light in these. #2 isn't quite square to the camera, so I think it looks fine. I like the breeze in her hair and the soft light in her face.

Caroline
  • JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    I have to agree with 1,2 , 7 & 8
    I know the chest to the camera is sometimes a no no but it works well here. As for 7, I usually don't like this type of shot but this one has a certain appeal.

Number 8 is my fav, if it were cropped a little tighter. I actually like the color. It adds a touch of drama to the picture.
    edited October 1, 2009
    Thanks all.
    -Jack