My green friend

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in Holy Macro
Out walking the dog today and came across this Great Green Bush-cricket (Tettigonia viridissima).

666016809_rMcyp-XL.jpg
http://www.imageinuk.com/Recent-Photos/New-Butterflies-other-Insects/7921526_8yYSh/1/#666016809_rMcyp-A-LB
I was very pleased with this find as it is the largest Bush Cricket in the UK. I thought I would try and encourage it to be more out in the open to get a better shot. To my surprise, it obliged.
666016000_6yykh-XL.jpg
http://www.imageinuk.com/Recent-Photos/New-Butterflies-other-Insects/7921526_8yYSh/1/#666016000_6yykh-A-LB

Not satisfied, I encouraged it a little more to try and get a view of the head/jaw detail.
666017909_shLua-XL.jpg
http://www.imageinuk.com/Recent-Photos/New-Butterflies-other-Insects/7921526_8yYSh/1/#666017909_shLua-A-LB

When I got home, I checked it's ID and learnt to my horror that it can give a very nasty bite:uhoh. Next time I shall have to take the field guide with me:rolleyes .

These are full size, uncropped images. Follow the lightbox link if you want to get closer. As usual Comments and Critique always welcome. Hope you like the images.

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 30, 2009
    very nice Peter, good compositions. clap.gif
    never seen one of these.
    phil
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Lovely series- esp like #3
    Brian v.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Great shots. I especially like #2. But I have to ask: how does one encourage a cricket to do anything but hop away? Last time I tried something like this, I spent a good while slithering forward on my stomach, never getting anything close to this near before the critter would leap away and make me start over.
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    very nice Peter, good compositions. clap.gif
    never seen one of these.
    phil

Thanks Phil. This one surprised me too. I had not realised how large these are but shall be more careful in handling them in futurerolleyes1.gif .
    edited October 1, 2009
    Lovely series- esp like #3
    Brian v.

Thanks Brian.
    edited October 1, 2009
    paddler4 wrote:
    Great shots. I especially like #2. But I have to ask: how does one encourage a cricket to do anything but hop away? Last time I tried something like this, I spent a good while slithering forward on my stomach, never getting anything close to this near before the critter would leap away and make me start over.

Thanks for your comments. I think that the fact that yesterday was very cool helped me get close. I saw it deep amongst grass first of all - shot#1. I thought I might lose it but took the risk in slowly moving a finger towards it and touched it's wings gently. I think it was irritated by this but did not see it as a threatso all it did was climb higher. Took another series of shots #2 and #3 plus another 5 as I continued to encourage it into the open. I had hoped that it would take off when it reached the top but it never did so I could not get a shot with its wings open - next time perhaps.
    Although these are fully winged, they are not great fliers.