Calibrating my monitor to Bay Photo

entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited October 12, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Help! I'm beginning to sell prints through Bay Photo, and I'm turning color correction off because I want my color a specific way. How do I go about calibrating my monitor? Does Bay Photo have files? Do I need to export my images to a specific ICC profile or does the ICC profile not matter?
Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
Site
Blog

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-color

Get Bay's ICC Profile there, and you can Soft Proof in Photoshop.

You can also write our Support Heroes and we'll send you a calibration print from Bay.

Do not embed the Bay ICC profile, just save as JPG with sRGB color space.
  • thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    so, if i have Bay's ICC installed and using it to softproof via PS and my colors look comparable to my calibrated profile, do i do the following:
    1. save file with sRGB color space
    2. don't embed Bay profile
    3. remove check from "embed profile" when saving jpg (is this right?)
    4. turn off color correction for Bay
    is that correct?
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    so, if i have Bay's ICC installed and using it to softproof via PS and my colors look comparable to my calibrated profile, do i do the following:
    1. save file with sRGB color space
    2. don't embed Bay profile
    3. remove check from "embed profile" when saving jpg (is this right?)
    4. turn off color correction for Bay
    is that correct?

Almost.
    1. Finish editing your image soft proof using the Bay profile for the specific paper type you're ordering.
    2. Save file with sRGB color space
    3. DO NOT embed Bay profile
    4. Leave "embed profile" checked. It will embed the sRGB profile.
    5. Turn off Bay color correction
    edited October 5, 2009
    Almost.
    1. Finish editing your image soft proof using the Bay profile for the specific paper type you're ordering.
    2. Save file with sRGB color space
    3. DO NOT embed Bay profile
    4. Leave "embed profile" checked. It will embed the sRGB profile.
    5. Turn off Bay color correction
    thanks David...but the part i guess i'm confused on is embedding the profile (#4 above)...is that ok because i turn off Bar color correction? if i turn on Bay color correction do i want to not embed my profile?
  • David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    thanks David...but the part i guess i'm confused on is embedding the profile (#4 above)...is that ok because i turn off Bay color correction? if i turn on Bay color correction do i want to not embed my profile?

By checking the embed color profile, you're defining a standard color space or gamut (sRGB). This is a known standard industry wide. When it's displayed on a website (using Safari, Firefox or other color aware software), the color will be accurate. Also, when displayed on anyone's color calibrated display, it'll be accurate. But most importantly, when Bay's printer receives the file, it'll know where to start. When a standard color profile (sRGB, Adobe RGB, Prophoto RGB, etc.) is embedded, the device (monitor, printer, etc.) doesn't have to guess at the color gamut. For more information than you can handle, Google the name Andrew Rodney. I hope this is helpful.

David
    edited October 6, 2009
    By checking the embed color profile, you're defining a standard color space or gamut (sRGB). This is a known standard industry wide. When it's displayed on a website (using Safari, Firefox or other color aware software), the color will be accurate. Also, when displayed on anyone's color calibrated display, it'll be accurate. But most importantly, when Bay's printer receives the file, it'll know where to start. When a standard color profile (sRGB, Adobe RGB, Prophoto RGB, etc.) is embedded, the device (monitor, printer, etc.) doesn't have to guess at the color gamut. For more information than you can handle, Google the name Andrew Rodney. I hope this is helpful.

David
    very helpful...i thought it was wanting to embed the ICC i am using, rather than sRGB color space...i think it's all clear now (at least clearer if not completely clear :D)
  • Allen42Allen42 Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    thaKing wrote:
    very helpful...i thought it was wanting to embed the ICC i am using, rather than sRGB color space...i think it's all clear now (at least clearer if not completely clear :D)

With more and more support for the Adobe color space, does bay not support this?

Speaking of that..this may explain why my thumbnails look different than my larger images on SmugMug... I need to go explore a bit.