Options

Scanning others photos/negatives and what to charge?

KvPhotoKvPhoto Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I have been asked to scan and burn to CD/DVD a large quantity of photos/negatives for a colleague. What does one charge for this? I also know of some other people who are also interested in this as well but htey also would like some of theirs 'cleaned up', which I can do. I looked up some of the larger companies and the fees vary greatly. Does anyone here do this and if so what do you charge?
Thanks
Kristina:D

Comments

• Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    KvPhoto wrote:
    I have been asked to scan and burn to CD/DVD a large quantity of photos/negatives for a colleague. What does one charge for this? I also know of some other people who are also interested in this as well but htey also would like some of theirs 'cleaned up', which I can do. I looked up some of the larger companies and the fees vary greatly. Does anyone here do this and if so what do you charge?
    Thanks
    Kristina:D

How much PROFIT do you need to bring in per week to pay your bills and income taxes?
    Divide that amount by 40 hours to find out your hourly rate.
    Then figure out a % to allow for depreciation of your scanner ( because if you are running huge amounts of scans through it, you are depreciating it), and add the cost of the cd's you will be burning to.
    You can charge the touch -ups at a higher rate ( reflecting the greater skill needed to do this) or just include this as part of your hourly rate.

Then you can quote them the hourly rate ( plus sales tax) that this comes out to.

If they want a quote for the whole batch, I would see how much you can do in an hour, then extrapolate that out for the entire batch - but be don't sell yourself short by underestimating how long it will take you to do this. Better to over-estimate and then bring it in under your estimate, than to underestimate, and have to ask for more money at the end, or end up eating the cost.

I think to be safe, and assuming that you will be dealing with a variety of conditions ( all of the photos or negs will not be in the same, pristine, condition and will likely need some retouching), I would charge by the hour, and perhaps even get a deposit - and also make up a simple contract outlining what you will do, how much it will cost , and when it will be done, and have him sign it.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    I did several hundred of these for a client a couple of years ago.

I charged 65 cents per image to scan them and run them through i2e for enhancement. Then I charged a flat $100 to organize them and burn them to DVDs.

In hindsight I probably should have charged a bit more. This took a lot of time. The good news was that I got someone else to physically do the scanning (on my equipment) for 33 cents per. All they had to do was scan and save. That left me 32 cents per to check the crop, run through i2e, organize and burn.